5 Things I Learned From My First “Big Girl” Administrative Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Before working my first paid job, I did have some prior experience. With some volunteer activities and an internship completed, I was familiar with working with and collaborating with other people in a working environment. Despite all my previous positions, however, my first administrative job was something very unique to me. I started to work in Human Resources, working among a group of other students. In addition to learning about workplace rules and employment eligibility, my first administrative job also taught me some important life lessons.

1. Communication is so important.

In a situation where so much is happening and things are constantly shifting around you, it is so important to talk to others. Communicate to others by letting them know where you left off, telling them what still needs to be done, or by leaving Post-It notes. Whatever you do, just make sure others receive your message.

2. Slow down.

Amid such a fast-paced environment, take time to breathe and slow down. My job featured many administrative duties like filing and data processing, but I did also speak to many people who would come into the office. When a stream of people come into the office and so many people are asking for help, it’s natural to feel rushed and stressed. But, the important thing to do is to breathe. Slow down and just make sure that you don’t miss any steps or details.

3. Ask questions.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions! I learned a lot about rules and regulations in my job, and continuously asking questions has helped me learn so much. Ask questions so that you can more deeply understand your job and your tasks. You want to know not only how to perform a task correctly and accurately, but also why that task needs to be performed.

4. Pay attention to the details.

Pay attention to the little details, and avoid typos and inconsistencies as much as you can! The task that you’re completing might be minor and mundane to you, but it may be very important to someone else. So make sure to stay detail-oriented and precise.

5. Organization is key.

In a workplace full of people, it is so important to have some sort of organizational structure. Whether you keep sticky notes everywhere to update others on your progress, or keep a spreadsheet of a to-do list, organization is absolutely essential.

My job helped me in many ways. It gave me new friends and a source of income. But most importantly, my first paid job has taught me so many new life lessons which I will continue to take with me in my future endeavors.

Kalysa was the 2020-21 Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for the UCLA chapter of Her Campus. She was also previously a Senior Editor and Feature Writer for the chapter. On the rare occasion she's not busy studying for school or writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her indulging in tiramisu or reading (and re-reading) her favorite novels. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.