5 Survival Tips for Finals Week

For many of us, we've been through finals week and learned what studying styles work best; but for others who are just beginning their time at UCLA, here are some tips to help you through the end of this quarter. Good luck, Bruins!

1.     Narrow down your studying

Playing catch-up during the quarter only works for so long, until you have a week before your exam and other classes to study for. If the professor provides a final study guide, use that to focus your attention on those particular topics. If no guide is provided, narrow your studying on the weeks after the midterm because chances are, the professor may want to put an emphasis of the final on what has not been tested.

2.     Block social media

We’ve all experienced when the tap of our favorite app turns into wasted hours of scrolling through our news feed. Download apps like “Blacklist,” which block you from accessing social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for a certain amount of time.

3.     Take the sleep route

If you are staying up late to study, make sure that is what most of your night will be. If you suddenly come to a point at which you cannot concentrate or retain any more information, stop and go to sleep. This is your body’s way of telling you it has had enough and that trying to study more will be counter-productive. Allowing your body to rejuvenate will give you a refreshed mind in the morning that is ready to study again.

4.     Drink coffee BEFORE you feel drowsy

It is best to wake body up before it even begins to feel that sleepy feeling that tempts you into bed. If you normally feel sleepy at 10 p.m. for example, drink your coffee around 8 or 9 p.m.

5.     Study in intervals

If you’ve got the attention span of a goldfish, set timers of 30-50 minutes to study for a class. This way, you can switch topics when the timer goes off so you won’t get bored.

Images courtesy of Quick Meme and the Odyssey Online.