Style

5 Spicy Outfit Formulas for the Chronically Tardy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

There are 2 types of people in this world: those who run late by circumstance, and those who are chronically tardy. As a member of the latter group, I’m less likely to lose half an hour to overzealous solicitors or a poorly timed fire alarm than I am to shaping (and re-shaping, then giving up and scrubbing clean) my eyebrows or frantically digging through my closet. Fortunately, my time lost is your time gained! From trial, error and a whole lot of sneaking into the back rows of lecture halls, here are five outfit formulas that I’ve developed to save time and energy:

If you have 30 minutes until class: Midi dress + boots

Dresses are a late girl’s best friend, saving you the strife of matching your top to your pants while silently asserting, “I am a polished woman with the energy to make an effort.” To look especially fashion-forward, pair longer hemlines with boots (a luxury you can afford because you left yourself enough time to walk up stairs with heels on, you timely queen). I love how writer Alyssa Coscarelli paired a feminine, figure-skimming dress with dark and stompy winter boots.

If you have 25 minutes until class: Blazer + white tank top + jeans + sneakers

Put away your UCLA sweatshirt and throw on a sharp piece of outerwear to elevate your no-brainer basics to an influencer-worthy fit. The fashion crowd has embraced casual, oversized suiting, which is a perfect excuse for you to thrift a ten dollar men’s blazer, roll up its sleeves, and call it couture. I’m particularly inspired by model Pelin Guel‘s chocolate-checked take on this classic.

If you have 20 minutes until class: Go monochrome

This look is as simple as its name implies: just wear the same color from head to toe! Fashion people are playing with tones of beige and cream this season, but a more practical option is to go for an all-black, grunge-y vibe. Personally, I’m excited to try a Canadian tuxedo a lá designer Aimee Song.

If you have 15 minutes until class: Pullover + midi skirt + walking shoes

Consider this look an easy upgrade to your sweats: it’s forgiving and flowy, but chic enough to look casual, not sloppy. A midi hemline also provides you with the coverage you need to speed up and down stairs without flashing passersby. Take inspiration from designer Sandra Ebert and blogger Jacky and pair this outfit with comfy slides or sneakers, which add to the look’s quirky appeal and make it so much easier for you to jog to class.

If you have 10 minutes until class: Polish up your PJ’s

At this point, the name of the game is efficiency. Luckily, pajama dressing is as popular as ever this season. If you slept in a bralette, throw on a pair of statement pants and sprint; if you slept in an oversized shirt, try layering a bralette over it for a funky twist on a T-shirt dress. Influencer Cierra Nia‘s blue take on this look almost makes me want to snooze my alarm another three times.

Whether you overslept, spent the better half of your morning struggling to curl your hair, or lost track of time in the shower, these five outfit formulas have you covered. Goodbye, stained campus merch; hello, fashion.

Althea is a freshman at UCLA. Her favorite things are fashion, exploring new places, and her dog- in that order. You can follow her insta @althea.zhao!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.