5 Songs To Add To Your Sad Girl Autumn Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sad girls, it’s your season. Time to make yourself a cup of coffee, crack open a book and let the slight temperature drop welcome you to autumn. But don’t get too cozy because this season isn’t complete without some sad tunes to accompany you during your gloomy days. While I think we should be careful about romanticizing sadness, sad songs can provide an odd sort of comfort. They help us process what we’re going through and remind us that we’re not alone in feeling a certain way. Sometimes you just have to let yourself be sad. Here are five songs to listen to this season:

October passed me by – girl in red

After her breakthrough song from 2018, “we fell in love in october,” girl in red has released a new song that references this time of year. “October Passed Me By” acts like a sequel to the aforementioned song and is a bittersweet track about a changed relationship. Maybe this time of year reminds you of a special person that you used to be close to. This song will evoke a sense of nostalgia and yearning that will make you miss the past but also feel some gratitude for it.

exile – taylor swift, ft. bon iver

“exile” is a song about two ex-lovers who cross paths once more, but you don’t have to be going through a relationship crisis to let its lyrics hit you. Like the song before, this Taylor Swift classic evokes a sense of loss and change, of no longer having that thing that felt like home. Maybe this is how you feel as a freshman who has left home and is now all alone in a foreign environment. Maybe this is how you feel as a senior, wondering what will happen to you and your friends when you scatter after graduation.

bigger than the whole sky – taylor swift

Yes, another Taylor Swift song, but it would be a crime if I didn’t include anything from her newest album, Midnights. This song comes from the 3 AM edition that she dropped on her Swifties as if the original version wasn’t enough. “Bigger Than The Whole Sky” causes you to think about what could have been and what can never be.

idea of her – cavetown

Do you have complicated feelings for someone? Then consider adding this song to your playlist. “Idea of Her” is about falling for and romanticizing the idea of a person and not who they truly are. While relationships are something beautiful, the things that happen before a person reaches that point can be painful and messy. Of course, you should take steps to untangle these feelings, but for now it’s okay to just listen to this sad tune.

Didn’t know what I was in for – better oblivion community center, phoebe bridgers, conor oberst

Phoebe Bridgers has said that this song is about performative activism. For me, this song reminds me of all the terrible things going on in the world and how helpless I am to do anything about them. I know that sounds super depressing, but I like this song because sometimes I need this reality to snap me out of my desensitized state and actually feel something.

Whatever you’re going through this season, I hope that music reminds you that you’re not alone. Enjoy these tunes and enjoy this time of year. Most importantly as you listen to these songs, remember one thing: let yourself be sad, but don’t let the sadness overwhelm you.

Louise is a junior double majoring in English and Economics. She loves reading contemporary fiction and making Spotify playlists.