Face Mask
Face Mask
Original photo by Rebecca Karlous

5 Socially Distanced Activities You Can Enjoy While Staying Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Earlier I heard on the news that we should refrain from using “social distancing” and instead use “physical distancing.” The term “social distancing” has diminished the one thing we all desperately need: socialization. Whether it be online or through a 6-feet apart activity, use these five activities as inspiration for how you can safely connect with friends:

Painting at the Park

Enjoy this warm weather while you can! A few weeks ago my friend and I decided to have a paint day at the park. Tap into your creativity together!

Create Tik Toks Together

The nice thing about creating a Tik Tok with friends is that not everyone needs to be physically present to create an engaging video. You can each separately record the clips and edit them together to create some viral-worthy content!

(Virtually) Cooking Summer Dishes

Quarantine has encouraged many of us to get more comfortable in the kitchen. However, you don’t have to do it alone! Here, I tried making a summer salad for lunch which you can easily do with a friend over Facetime!

Lookout Spot

Keep your distance and head over to a local lookout spot in your community. Don’t know of any spots to go? Just Google your city and the phrase “lookout spots” to find your new go-to spot with friends.

Siblings Day

It’s so easy for us to want to just coop up in our room or on the couch. Use this opportunity to have a “siblings day” with your sibling before school begins! Even if you have opposite interests, there’s always something you can enjoy together. While my brother was surfing, I was able to enjoy the sun and take some pictures of him, and later we got ice cream.

While it’s easy to feel lonely during this time, these activities just go to show that you don’t need to feel so alone right now! There are ways to be social and safe going forward. While making safety a priority, don’t forget the importance of socialization!

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.