Style > Fashion

5 Reusable Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Finding a last-minute Halloween costume is fun; however, we often forget about and never wear our extravagant sequined mini dresses again (unless you’re going to the Eras tour next year lol). Here are five Halloween costumes that use pieces that can be easily restyled and worn again and again for years to come!

Olivia Rodrigo

Now for the first costume idea, we have Miss Olivia Rodrigo. Her sophomore album “GUTS”  is an incredible representation of the experience of young adult women, so what better way to show appreciation for that than dressing up as her? Her iconic colors are purple and (more recently) red! 

This purple dress is literally SCREAMING Olivia Rodrigo from my laptop. Pair this with some platform black boots and you can consider yourself the spicy Pisces herself.

These pieces can be easily reused! Use this dress for the next time you go out with the girlies, your best friend’s 21st birthday bash or when you attend the “GUTS” concert!

Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams is another great option. With the success of the Wednesday series, who wouldn’t want to take on Jenna Ortega’s character? 

This black collared dress can easily be worn over and over. Simply pair it with pigtail braids, black lipstick and some stockings with your favorite black boots.

Use it for your next interview, with a sweater over it while heading to class or hanging out with your bestie Enid (actually doing a duo costume as Wednesday and Enid would be ICONIC)!

Cowgirl
margot robbie in a barbie movie
Warner Bros

Get ready to say yeehaw! Channel your inner cowgirl Barbie or Jessie.

This outfit is trendy, but can be styled even if you don’t want your regular outfits to give cowgirl vibes. This top can be styled endlessly and the super flattering flared pants will have you looking snatched. Finally, just add your favorite cowboy boots that are also perfect for a brunch date (or to go to Saddle Ranch!).

Princess

With this look, you’ll be the prettiest princess at the party.

This viral dress from Princess Polly is an excellent choice to give all of the princess vibes. This shade of pink is universally flattering on nearly every skin tone imaginable. It can be worn to your next formal, date night or as a wedding guest.

To make this even more sustainable, do your hair in a braided crown instead of purchasing a crown that you may only wear once (unless you end up finding your Prince Charming?!). Add your favorite pair of heels or sneakers because us modern-day princesses deserve to dance comfortably!

Malibu Barbie
barbie movie behind the scenes 0010?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Given the success of Gerwig’s Barbie, there was absolutely NO WAY that I could leave this one out!

Many of us grew up watching Barbie movies and the classic “Malibu Barbie” look is iconic and perfect for 2023!

This hibiscus print dress is perfect for the costume, but it’s also the perfect beach coverup for the days that you take an excursion to Malibu.

I hope these ideas gave you some inspo on how to find a costume that you’ll be able to style in endless ways, even after Halloween. Here’s to being more sustainable and creative!

Danielle is a second-year from Temecula, CA. Her articles range from sharing interviews with influential figures, discussing the ups and downs of being a young woman in LA, and spreading positive energy through diverse stories! Happy reading!