Wellness

5 Preventative Things To Do That Will Protect You In The Case Of An Emergency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Lately, I have been listening to a lot of the Crime Junkies podcast, which is a podcast that covers one story per episode about real-life cases of murders, missing persons, abduction, kidnappings, and many other crimes.

One thing I have learned from this podcast is that it really is better to be safe than sorry. Even if you do not personally know anyone who has been injured, assaulted, kid-napped, or worse, it is important to realize that there are a lot of scary people in the world, and that anything can happen to you at any time. Here are five things you can do to keep yourself safe:

Buy a self-defense weapon.

There is a huge selection of self-defense weapons available to purchase online. Between pepper spray, tasers, whistles and defense keychains, there are lots of options. Stephanie Villa, also known as soothingsista on YouTube, has extensively covered a variety of self-defense weapons on her channel. Check out her channel here for some inspiration and help choosing the one that is right for you. 

Before you buy one, please look into the pros and cons associated with each weapon, and find the one that is most convenient and safe for you. Please also make sure to learn how to properly use it and to practice how you would take it out in case that you would urgently need it.

Learn self-defense.

If you do not have a weapon on you, use your body to protect yourself. There are a ton of self-defense technique videos online, or you can also sign up for self-defense classes that teach specific techniques, such as Krav Maga. Check out this link here to learn some more self-defense moves.

Fill out a Crime Junkies “If I Go Missing” form.

If you listen to Crime Junkies, you will know that they occasionally mention this form. This is an extremely detailed form that would be very crucial for police to have if you were to go missing. It includes basic information, such as your name, DOB, address and phone number, but it also includes confidential information such as passwords, fingerprints and credit card information. It would definitely be bad if it got into the wrong hands, so make sure to keep this form in a secure location that only a few trusted people know of. You can find, download, print, and fill out the form here.

Download a location sharing app.

Having a location-finding app downloaded on your phone is important for letting your friends and family know where you are at all times. Some people are iffy about having parents know their location, so if this is the case for you, then just share your location with a few friends that you trust.

If you are an iPhone user, Find my iPhone is already built-in, so all you have to do is have your location turned on and shared with your friends or family. Google Maps is another free and popular app not only for getting from place to place, but also for tracking your location.

Carry a physical copy of important information on you at all times.

There is a chance that you will not always have your phone on you or fully charged, so carrying a physical copy of important phone numbers and minimal medical information can be crucial. Phone numbers can include those of your family members, friends and emergency services, such as the nearest hospital or non-emergency number. Medical information can be confidential, so only include minimal information such as gender, DOB, blood type and current medications.

Hopefully, you will never be in a situation that requires you to actually use any of these things. Make sure to walk confidently, preferably in well-lit areas filled with a lot of people and make sure to always have your guard up. Stay safe!

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.