This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Podcasts have gained in popularity over the past couple of years, and it’s easy to understand why! Whether you listen to them while you’re on a run or right before you go to bed, podcasts are extremely versatile and cover a wide-range of topics. From murder mysteries to feel-good stories, how do you even decide what podcast to choose? Here are 5 different podcasts you can check out based on your current mood and interests:

“Jensen & Holes: The Murder Squad”

Sometimes all you want to do is curl up in your bed and play detective with a spine-chilling murder mystery. If you’re looking for something interesting and creepy that will keep you up all night, check out “Jen and Holes: The Murder Squad.” This podcast centers around Paul Holes, a retired cold case investigator, and Billy Jensen, a investigative journalist, as they dive into unsolved murder cases. They both use a wide variety of detective methods from advanced DNA fingerprinting to old fashioned deductive tactics. There are currently 2 seasons and 78 total episodes, the perfect amount to start a weekend binge session. My personal favorite episodes are 53 and 55, a two-part series called “Elizabeth Short: The Black Dahlia.” For a night of twists and turns at every corner, have a listen to this podcast!

“Best Friends with Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata”

If you’re in the mood for something lighthearted and comedic, “Best Friends with Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata” is the podcast for you. Byer and Zamata explore the ins and outs of having a best friend, and all the unforgettable experiences that come with it. This podcast is super relatable, as anyone can relate to the funny inside jokes and hilarious moments that come with having a best friend for life. If you’re listening to this podcast for the first time, I recommend starting with “Sasheer Should Drink More Water (And So Should You!)”. This episode talks about everything relatable from “Emily in Paris” to Buzzfeed quizzes that tell you what kind of jelly bean you are. 

“Young Changemakers”

“Young Changemakers” is one of my favourite podcasts of all time, as it puts you in such a motivated mood. Each episode features the story of fearless teenagers from around the world who are making lasting change within their communities. From efforts within the areas of immigration to education to female empowerment, all of these stories are extremely eye-opening and powerful. You will definitely feel motivated to inspire your own form of change as you listen to the ambitions and motivations behind these young activists’ actions. If you’re looking for a particularly inspiring story, check out Season 2, Episode 5 (“Empowering Young Nigerian Girls Through Education With Ronke Oladele”). This episode features the efforts of Ronke Oladele, a college student who founded a social enterprise that empowers young Nigerian girls through the sale of sustainably made backpacks. 

“The Take” 

While everyone always says how important it is to keep up with the news, it’s sometimes really difficult to discipline yourself to read the news everyday. If you’re looking for a quick and engaging way to update yourself on pressing world issues, take a listen to “The Take” by Al Jazeera Podcasts. By listening to these 15 minute podcasts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you will easily become more informed on news stories such as North Korea’s eco-crisis, Ethiopian refugees, Lebanon’s financial collapse and the water crisis in Chile. Their most recent stories include a deep dive into New Delhi’s dehabitilizing pollution crisis and its severe implications during the pandemic. Definitely check it out for a super eye-opening and interesting listen! 

“Going For Goal”

With finals week coming up, it’s important to take care of your mental and physical health. If you’re looking for a podcast to help you destress and relax, check out “Going for Goal” by Women’s Health. This podcast features everything health and wellness related, like nutrition, fitness, emotional wellness, gratitude and meditation. One of my favorite episodes is “How To Get Great Skin Q&A,” which features two leading dermatologists answering common skincare and acne questions. You’ll definitely feel more healthy, confident and happy after listening to this uplifting and empowering podcast.

Next time you’re stuck in traffic or trying to find something to listen to while on a run, give these five podcasts a chance. Happy listening!

Anya is a first-year economics major at UCLA and is a feature-writer for Her Campus. When she's not writing, she loves to scuba dive, go makeup shopping, and indulge in black sesame ice cream. She's obsessed with Disney movies and will 100% cry when watching Finding Nemo.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.