5 Places in West LA To Get Your Brunch Fix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As midterm season approaches, sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back, take a deep breath and take yourself to brunch. Included in your West LA apartment’s rent is a plethora of cute brunch spots, all of which have that exposed-brick aesthetic to decorate your IG story with. Whether you’re looking for a quick bite or want to make a day of it, here are five places near UCLA to brunch your heart out: 

Flake

This is my go-to spot for breakfast sandwiches and acai bowls. Flake is located on a random corner in Venice with a whole two tables and a bench, but at any given time their window will have an eager customer waiting for their order. Go at the right time and you’ll see dog owners congregating for their mid-walk morning coffee. 

Blueys Cafe and Market

If you’re in the mood for something healthy and hipster, look no further. Blueys is not only a spot for great food but also fantastic coffee. Nothing pairs better with their traditional breakfast, fondly named the “basic bitch brekkie,” than a slice of banana bread and a macchiato. Plus, their dining area and outside patio is a plant girl’s heaven, perfect for a story update to show all your followers that you left the house for once.  

Hash

As one of the first brunch places I tried in West LA, Hash is a restaurant I had unsuccessfully tried to gatekeep. They have everything from breakfast burritos to cinnamon roll pancakes, so take your friends and have one order something savory and another order something sweet. The line of customers usually consists of business casual-dressed people on their lunch break and regulars looking for any opportunity to shirk their responsibilities (me).  

Blu jam cafe

An LA classic, you’ve probably already seen Blu Jam’s signature crunchy french toast all over your feed. Blu Jam to me is the epitome of LA brunch, with menu options like vegan organic tofu tostadas and a hangover scramble all dressed up so that the phone can eat first. If you visit their original location on Melrose Avenue, be sure to make a stop at Ameoba Records and the Hollywood Walk of Fame while you’re there. 

république

For something a little more upscale, République is well-known for its French-style cafe and bakery and rustic decor. This also doubles as a great place for a first date; I promise you won’t have to worry about talking points because you can just rave about how amazing the food is. From pastries and coffee to brioche french toast and croque madame, you won’t be disappointed. 

Brunch is one of those mysterious things in life where time and money always seem to free themselves up for it. The end of a busy school or workweek is best celebrated with friends and good food, so make sure to be kind to yourself and indulge in some bougie breakfast every once in a while. Trust me, there is nothing a breakfast bagel or mimosa (or two) can’t fix. 

Audrie is a fourth-year student from Honolulu, Hawaii, majoring in Human Biology Society and minoring in Anthropology. Her favorite things to talk about are self-care, brunch, and her cat. She also really loves the beach and anything matcha flavored! In her free time, you can catch her shopping for records, books, and Trader Joe's snacks.