5 of the Most Anticipated Disney Movies of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In 2016, there are lots to look forward to on the big screen from Disney- including a life-animation action remake of The Jungle Book, a sequel to the beloved Finding Nemo, and a brand new Princess to add to the already vast collection. 

Here are some of those films to look out for this year!

1. “Zootopia” – March 4

Who run the world? Animals. 

In “Zootopia,” Walt Disney Pictures imagines a world run by mammals of all shapes and sizes. The stars? A rabbit, the first to join the Zootopian police force, and a fox, a fleeting con artist. The unlikely pair teams up to solve a peculiar case in the city. 

Image courtesy of trailers.apple.com

2. “The Jungle Book” – April 16

The CGI live-action remake of the 1967 animated original “Jungle Book” will follow the story of the young Mowgli who was raised by wolves and is deeply threatened by the mighty bengal tiger Shere Khan. Because of this, he is forced to leave what he knows as home. Eventually he is befriended and guided by a bear and panther into a new realm, but on the way he encounters more threats from the creatures of the jungle world and must defeat many obstacles on his journey. 

Image courtesy of slashfilm.com   

3. “Alice Through the Looking Glass” – May 27

The adventure-fantasy film will be the sequel to the 2010 film “Alice in Wonderland.” It will still feature favorites – Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Mia Wasikova as Alice. In the movie, Alice comes across a looking glass and peeks through it, which will once again take her into the world of Wonderland. Alice is sent by the White Queen to a Grand Clock that takes her back in time, where she is ordered to save the Mad Hatter before time runs out. From what is she saving him? TBD.

Image courtesy of Cinemablend.com

4. “Finding Dory” – June 17

After a 13 year hiatus from the lovable trio of Marlin, Nemo and Dory, they’re back again. This time, they will stray from P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney, and instead will just keep swimming through the coast of Monterey, California. Dory’s amnesia will strike in a new way this time – she will suddenly recall various childhood memories and recall a new idea – “the jewel of Montery, California.” Dory ends up at Monterey Marine Institute, and makes several new quirky underwater friends who will help her on her journey. 

Image courtesy of Wikipedia.com5. 

5. “Moana” –  November 23rd 

Disney is adding yet another princess to their royal line- this time, it will be Moana, a young Hawaiian native who was born with the gift of navigation. Moana sets out in search of a legendary island, and on the way teams up with her idol, the demi-god Maui (played by The Rock). The awesome part about the casting of Moana is that it is played by a 14-year-old native Hawaiian girl named Auli’i Cravalho, who is skilled in both acting and singing, and will be singing alongside The Rock in the movie!  That’s a first. 

Image courtesy of People.com

Sarah Ahern is a sophomore at UC Irvine studying literary journalism. Aside from writing for HerCampus, she interns for the self-help website DreamitAlive.com. In her free time, she enjoys writing, playing tennis, and baking.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.