Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures

5 Iconic Films To Watch For A Virtual Galentine’s Day Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Social distancing doesn’t have to ruin Galentine’s day! There are plenty of fun remote activities to take part in with your ladies this February 14th. One great option is a virtual movie marathon. With streaming sites offering options for group watch parties, it’s super easy to get your girls together and binge some fav films while complying with pandemic safety measures. Here are five must-see movies about female friendships that need to be on your Galentine’s Day queue: 

Booksmart

This 2019 comedy directed by Olivia Wilde is the perfect, heartwarming watch for Galentine’s Day. Booksmart is a coming of age story centered around two best friends who are intelligent, quirky and determined to have one night of crazy partying before leaving high school. The film beautifully portrays young women bonding and supporting each other, and you and your friends will definitely see yourselves reflected in the characters’ experiences. If you want to watch Booksmart, you can stream it with Hulu Watch Party.

Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids is comedic gold, with a star-studded cast including Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Melissa McCarthy. The protagonist is the maid of honor at her best friend’s wedding, and hilarity ensues as she attempts to guide her fellow bridesmaids in a series of pre-wedding adventures. This film is the ideal option if you’re looking for a lighthearted film to kick off your movie marathon. If you want to see Bridesmaids, you can rent it on YouTube and schedule a Zoom call with your friends.

Clueless

Add some 90s flair to your Galentine’s day with this iconic film! Clueless is sure to be a crowd-pleaser with its quotable lines, memorable fashion looks and loveable characters. The plot is a SoCal take on Jane Austen’s novel Emma and follows the main character, Cher, through her attempts at friendship, love, and matchmaking. Whether you’re already a fan of this cult-classic, or you’re watching Clueless for the first time, this movie is a Galentine’s Day must-watch. If you want to check out Clueless, you can also rent it on YouTube and Zoom screen share with your friends.

Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect is the ideal film to inject some nostalgia into your virtual celebration. This movie will bring back all of your old memories of the cup song and legendary Barden Bellas acapella performances. The plot centers around a diverse group of college women, meaning you’ll be able to appreciate the characters’ antics even more than you did back in 2012. If you want to stream Pitch Perfect, one option is to rent it on Prime Video and use the Watch Party function. You can also watch the rest of the franchise on Hulu!

Mean Girls

No movie marathon is complete without this generation-defining film. Who doesn’t love Mean Girls? Behind all of the iconic quotes and ridiculous high school drama, Mean Girls has a powerful message of how important it is for young women to support eachother and value true friendships: exactly what Galentine’s Day is all about! So indulge in this movie with your friends and appreciate the 2000s perfection and Tina Fey’s witty writing. If you want to watch Mean Girls you can either rent it on YouTube or stream it through Prime Video.

Each of these films emphasizes the joy of finding true friendship with the women in your life, so give them a watch with the ladies who are supporting you during these tough times. Have fun experimenting with coordinating your movie-marathons on whichever streaming sites are available to you and have a safe and relaxing Galentine’s Day!

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.