5 Fun Facts about Homecoming at UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s officially homecoming week (yaaay!) so what better way to kick-off the celebrations than to learn a little more about this UCLA tradition! For those who are still unsure about what homecoming is, it’s basically a time for alumni, students, faculty, and parents to connect and celebrate UCLA! Although the homecoming game is the most well-known event, there are plenty of other activities that happen throughout the week courtesy of the homecoming committee (more on that later!). So, as promised here are some fun facts about this UCLA tradition:

1. In 1933 the homecoming at UCLA was born! The event consisted of a parade – which featured 52 floats – as well as a carnival and a bonfire. Over the years the UCLA homecoming parade grew to be one of the largest annual parades west of the Mississippi!
  2. In 1944, the war made it difficult to mount a full-size homecoming parade. But that didn’t discourage students from looking for a way to keep the tradition alive. Students got creative and put on a miniature parade with tiny floats that passed across the stage of Royce Hall! If that doesn’t prove that you can’t kill UCLA spirit, then I don’t know what will!
  3. During homecoming a bonfire was usually held, but in 1964 the parade was made stationary so the bonfire was replaced by a barbeque and TV rally with USC (large screens were set up on both campuses so the students could watch both rallies). The bonfire tradition was eventually revived in the 90s as a Beat ‘SC event.
  4. Typically, the homecoming court would lead the parade in a car, so in 1970 ASUCLA Executive Director Don Findley loaned his red car for the parade. Unfortunately, one homecoming queen thought that this meant that red was an appropriate color for all the events so she showed up to the football game dressed completely in red which was the color of the opposing team! Awkward. 
  5. After a seven-year absence, homecoming returned to UCLA in 2011 and with it came UCLA’s first homecoming flash mob. During the 3rd quarter break at the football game 1,000 students surprised everyone at the Rose Bowl with their dance to Lady Gaga’s Edge of Glory! If you don’t believe me, you can watch the video here.

So what’s happening during this year’s homecoming week you ask? Well here’s a breakdown of all the events guaranteed to brighten up your fourth week:

Monday:

• Cupcake Fundraiser Delivery, 12:00am–11:00pm

Surprise a friend, a crush or treat yo’ self to a freshly frosted cupcake delivered right to your front door!

• Rally on the Hill, 6:45pm–8:15pm

The Marching Band and Spirit Squad will be there to get you pumped for homecoming!

Tuesday:

• Bruin Plaza Day, 11:00am–3:00pm

Play some games, take some cute pics with Joe Bruin, and get some free refreshments!

• Food Trucks on Landfair, 7:00pm–9:00pm

Get some Grilled Cheese and Seoul Sausage while you mingle with other hungry Bruins!

Wednesday:

• Sing-off, 6:30pm, Kerkhoff Grand Salon

What’s better than a Pitch Perfect style sing off with UCLA’s acapella groups?

Thursday:

• HOCO BASH 2k16, 9:00pm–late, 333 South Boylston Street

The only thing better than a Pitch Perfect style sing-off with UCLA’s a capella groups is a Halloween party in DTLA! Get your ticket here!

Friday:

• Football Send-Off, 3:45pm –4:30pm, Outside Pauley Pavilion

Grab some grub and cheer on your fave team as they leave campus!

• Brad Paisley Concert, 7:00pm–10:00pm, Los Angeles Tennis Center

You don’t wanna miss this! Doors open at 6:30pm.

Saturday:

• Homecoming Football Game, kick-off is at 1:00pm, Rose Bowl

Show off your UCLA spirit and cheer on your team as they (hopefully!) beat Utah! Don’t forget to wear your homecoming shirt – if you haven’t gotten one yet stop by Bruinwalk from Monday to Friday between 10:00am and 3:00pm!

Follow UCLA Homecoming on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to find out more!

Happy homecoming week!

All Photos Courtesy of UCLA Homecoming

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.