koreatown Los Angeles sign
koreatown Los Angeles sign
Original photo by lily oneal
Life > Experiences

5 Asian-Owned Food Spots In LA’s Koreatown That You Have To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

All of my fellow self-proclaimed foodies and I know that L.A. has some of the best food. I truly believe that if you dig hard enough, you can find really any kind of food somewhere in the city. Of all the good food I’ve tried in L.A., my favorite restaurants can be found in Koreatown. In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, here are five of my top picks for Asian-owned food spots in L.A.’s K-Town:

Yupdduk

While I do enjoy the occasional instant microwavable cup of tteokbokki, nothing beats the fresh version. If you’re unfamiliar, tteokbokki is a dish with chewy rice cakes in a spicy red sauce. While you may see tteokbokki as an appetizer or side dish at other restaurants, at Yupdduk, it’s the main event. Here, you can build-your-own tteokbokki with a variety of choices for additions besides rice cakes. Of course, I recommend adding noodles and mozzarella cheese, but they also have dumplings, veggies and other options available. Fair warning, know your spice tolerance before coming here. There are four levels of spice to choose from, and even the lowest level is notoriously intense. 

Gangnam Station

This list wouldn’t be complete without mentioning KBBQ. Given the nature of KBBQ (do-it-yourself, grill at the table style), this is a great spot to hit with a group. Gangnam Station has both a self-serve style meat bar as well as certain meats you can pay extra for. While the meat is technically all you can eat, you should be aware that you will be charged extra for any leftovers (in other words, don’t take too much at once). It’s not KBBQ without beef bulgogi and corn cheese, so I recommend giving these a try when you go. 

korean bbq with meat and sides
Original photo by Lily Oneal
Two Hands Corn Dogs

I was first influenced to try Korean corn dogs by the popular mukbangers of social media. They were really onto something when they showcased those cheese pulls because these are so good. My favorite variety to order is one with half sausage and half mozzarella cheese inside. The corn dogs at Two Hands are also covered with potato cubes, a slightly sweet sauce and hot Cheetos. This spot is actually on top of a grocery store along with the several other restaurants. On those days when the weather in LA is just perfect, it’s so nice to sit and eat up here. 

korean corn dog with sauce
Original photo by lily oneal
Pelicana Chicken

If you are a fan of fried chicken, look no further. Pelicana Chicken specializes in fried chicken wings with a variety of sauces. I’ve never actually had the chicken wings, but they come highly recommended by people I know. My favorite thing to order instead is the chicken gangjung, a dish with sweet and spicy boneless fried chicken and rice cakes.

pelicana fried chicken and fries
Original photo by lily oneal
Heuk Hwa Dang

No food listicle would be complete without mentioning a dessert spot, so I give you my absolute favorite, Heuk Hwa Dang. While they have other items like milk teas, the strawberry croiffle is what keeps me coming back here. If you’ve never had one, a croiffle is just a croissant cooked in a waffle maker. There is something so indescribable about the texture of these. Despite their appearance, I don’t find this treat too overwhelmingly sweet (a big win for me when it comes to desserts). The cafe itself is also really cute, so it’s fun to just vibe for a while after you’ve feasted on your croiffle. Pro-tip: Madang Plaza (a shopping center) is right next door and has Daiso, H-Mart and a makeup store to browse when you’re done. 

waffle with strawberries and green drink
Original photo by Lily O\’Neal

I could go on and list several more, as there is such a range of amazing spots in K-Town. This month and beyond, I encourage you to support AAPI-owned and operated businesses. Branch out and try some new places you’ve never been to. I promise you won’t regret it. 

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.