This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In the ever-evolving realm of fashion, the trends of yesteryear are making triumphant comebacks, and 2024 is proving to be no exception. As we bid farewell to the dominance of low-rise jeans and the ubiquitous reign of bows on everything, a fresh wave of style is poised to take center stage. From oversized belts serving as ingenious solutions to the low-rise dilemma to the resurgence of sequins that promise to dazzle, the fashion landscape is gearing up for an exciting transformation. Here are five captivating trends that are set to dominate the fashion scene this year:

Oversized belts

We all know of the tremendous comeback low rise jeans have made these past few years, to very little pushback. One thing I personally hate about low rise jeans is how small the zipper area looks on its own, but Pinterest has found a solution to this. Large buckle belts draw the mind away from this otherwise awkward looking spot. We’ve already seen the major metal chain belt comeback, but these and low rise jeans don’t seem to please the eye as much as how they look on mid rise jeans. These oversized belt buckles are the solution, fitting the trend whilst still being unique.

red dog collar
Genuine Canine
Ribbon Necklaces

As the “bows on everything” trend slowly begins to die down, people will wonder what to use all their extra ribbon for. Regardless of your opinion on the coquette frenzy, all that leftover ribbon has to go somewhere, and you may have noticed how popular scarfs have been this winter. As the weather warms, fashionistas will find a cooler alternative to the heavy scarf in the form of a quaint wrap around ribbon. It’s cheap, cute, and adds a little flavor to an otherwise bland outfit. 

Sequins

Prepare to have your Dirt Devil on hand before you host the next pregame, because 2024 is all sequins, sequins, sequins. After the “jeans and a going-out top” pandemic took over colleges across the nation, sequin tops are coming back as a rebuttal. The line between a top and a going out top becomes increasingly thin and sequins plan to clear any confusion as a necessity for your nightly endeavors. But it won’t stop there; sequin skirts, sequin bags, sequin tights, you name it – every neat-freaks nightmare is returning. 

Pointy Dress Shoes

Ever since skinny jeans plummeted out of fashion, it’s become a lot easier to wear statement shoes without it overpowering the entire rest of the outfit. Besides – flare jeans, bootcut and wide leg jeans have been begging for a pop of shape. Pointy dress shoes, whether flat or heeled, to stick out of the bottom of a wide pair of jeans keeps things interesting, especially when you consider the wide variety of vintage pointy shoes already available.

Gold and Silver Jewelry Combinations

You’ve heard in the past not to mix metals, but I predict that this is soon to change. Part of what fashion has become is pushing your boundaries out of the ordinary, pushing beyond these basic fashion rules that have been in place for so long, and this is the next rule to go. Gold and silver, when combined evenly, are beautiful together and they’ve been separated for too long. As long as one metal is not wildly overpowering the other (for example one tiny piece of silver with an all gold set), the possibilities of jewelry become endless.

As we anticipate the fashion landscape of 2024, we see the resurgence of iconic trends and the emergence of innovative styles. From the practical allure of oversized belts to the charming simplicity of ribbon necklaces to the glitzy comeback of sequins, it seems like we will have an exciting year for fashion in 2024. In the year ahead, embrace the evolution, break the rules, and let your wardrobe become a canvas for the dynamic trends that will define 2024!

Ariana, or Aria, is a third year philosophy major at UCLA. She enjoys fashion, 19th and 20th century feminism novels, cartoons, shoegaze music, rock climbing, baking, and spending time with friends.