This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you know me, then you know how much I love fashion. I love clothes and putting outfits together – it is the one art form I feel like I actually have an eye for. I take a lot of pride in what I wear every day, but the funny thing is that I was not always this way. My passion for clothing is somewhat newfound and started pretty recently. People who knew me prior to college would probably be surprised to know how much effort I put into what I wear each and every day. But it is true! Picking out my outfit for each day has drastically improved my life. It has made me feel better about myself and given me a new passion. The best part about this is that I feel so much more powerful in my own skin. Fashion has changed my life for the better, so here are 5 fashion tips that could help you reclaim your strength by reminding yourself every day how beautiful and capable you are: 

Make time in the morning (or night before) to create your outfit

Every day, I wake up and spend time and effort into carefully selecting what I am going to wear that day. I do this for a number of reasons, but most importantly, it is because I have learned the value in taking the time to plan an outfit for each day that makes you feel like a boss. What people say is true, I really do think you perform better when you dress better; when you dress better, you feel better. You feel more comfortable in your own skin, you feel invincible walking around and seeing people you know and most of all, you just feel confident. 

Dress comfortably, but not too comfortably

Dressing comfortably is definitely key. If you are constantly having to readjust or retie something, your day is going to be clouded with the constant nagging of that task. However, there is a fine line between dressing comfortably and too comfortably. If you venture into the sweatpants and sweatshirt area, you are not going to fulfill the intent here, which is to dress with the mission to impress (yourself). You are not going to derive as much power from your outfit. 

There is definitely a link between dressing better and feeling better, and if you put a little bit more effort into your outfit than practically pajamas, you will be surprised at how much better you feel going through the motions of your day. An oversized graphic sweatshirt tucked into mom jeans with a belt and combat boots is a perfect go-to outfit for comfort while also looking cute.

A nice bag or purse can tie any outfit together

I started doing this recently, and I can attest to the power of a bag or purse. You can wear the same outfit with a backpack or with a purse, and the outfit will always look much better with a purse. Makes you look more ~chic~. I would recommend a black purse, which you can then use as your main bag since black goes with everything.

Comfortable but stylish shoes DO exist, and they are key

Do not kill your feet for the sake of fashion. It is never worth it, especially because there are so many cute, affordable and comfortable shoe options out there. No need to bend over backwards to force your foot into the shoe that is trending at the moment! Not all shoe brands are for everyone. Do not go out of your way and suffer through naster blisters for a pair of supergas or Doc Martens just because everyone has them. I have always been a big believer that shoes are very flexible and fluid in trending, and if you sport a shoe confidently, you can wear any kind/ color/ make you want.

A chic, versatile coat that can layer any outfit will be your saving grace (especially in winter)

I am a sucker for a good coat. The reason for this is because if it is winter or if you get cold easily, your time and effort each morning to dress well can be easily reduced with just one staple piece: a good coat! Again, if you are only going for a simple and easy reusable piece, I would suggest black, because it goes with everything. Brown or gray is also a good bet, but not white because it gets dirty too easily to be your main coat. This coat needs to be reliable! You can wear a nice coat every day! And even better, you can look powerful and fierce every time you put it on- what is better than that?

Feeling powerful every day can be a mission. This was something I struggled with my entire life. But when I discovered the correlation between dressing like a boss and feeling like a boss, and my love for fashion has only made my life even better.

Grace is a senior at UCLA majoring in communications with a minor in film. In addition to being a Co-Senior Editor for Her Campus, Grace writes and models for FAST (Fashion and Student Trends).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.