Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Easy Gift Ideas For Your Long-Distance Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Valentine’s Day is stressful enough as it is. Add distance on top of that and you have got yourself in for quite the ride! Figuring out how to show your appreciation toward your long-distance partner during Valentine’s Day is difficult, to say the least. You can’t see them, you can’t touch them, you can’t be with them. So what can you do? Here are five easy gift ideas for your long-distance Valentine:

CARE PACKAGE
Christmas Box GIF by Target - Find & Share on GIPHY
Target via Giphy

An amazing way to celebrate your long-distance partner for Valentine’s Day is by making them a care package. You can never go wrong with this one and it never gets old! It is so versatile and easily customizable to each person, as you can gather the items yourself and decorate the box to your desire. Being able to pick and choose what items you want to put in this care package allows for satisfaction in both the sentimental and material side of gift-giving. This is great for long-distance partners, as you can ship this package wherever they are in the world, and it will feel like a piece of you is with them.

“OPEN WHEN” LETTERS
Design Love GIF by LIRONA - Find & Share on GIPHY
Liron Rash via Giphy

This is one that will tug on the heartstrings! “Open when” letters are letters that are written under the intention that your partner will open them when they are feeling the emotion that it is labeled as. Some examples of “open when” letters would be, “open when you feel sad,” “open when you are homesick” and “open when you are stressed.” Obviously, not all of them have to be sad emotions, but I’m sure you get the idea. This is a great Valentine’s Day gift for your long-distance Valentine as it is almost like a bunch of gifts at once, and this means the “gift” feeling lasts a lot longer for them because each letter is its own gift. 

DINNER ROULETTE
Food Eat GIF by bluesbear - Find & Share on GIPHY
Bluesbear via Giphy

If you’re looking for a fun way to spice up your Valentine’s Day with your long-distance partner, try surprising each other with dinner! Use a food delivery app, order a meal for your partner and have it delivered straight to their doorstep. It’ll feel like you guys are eating takeout together! And the best part is that you won’t know what your partner is getting for you. This is a great way to add some excitement and suspense to your Valentine’s Day night!

FACETIME NETFLIX & CHILL
Netflix And Chill GIF by Michael Bolton - Find & Share on GIPHY
Michaelbolton via Giphy

These next few ideas are more for if you and your partner value quality time rather than physical gifts. If you are looking for a fun and chill Valentine’s Day date idea with your long-distance partner, a great way to do that is to have a video chat movie night! Whether it be Facetime or Skype, set up your cameras and watch the same exact movie together at the same exact time. This is an amazing way to feel connected to your partner and reestablish that presence in each others’ days with no distractions

COOK-OFF
New Years Eve Cooking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants - Find & Share on GIPHY
Spongebob by Giphy

This last long-distance Valentine’s Day idea is great for those who love quality time but also want to do something more physical. A great way to do that while in long-distance is to have a video chat cooking challenge! Set up your video chat and look up a recipe of your guys’ choosing, whether it be a meal or a dessert. Gather the ingredients, start a timer and get cooking! This will for sure spark some competitiveness, excitement and laughs into your night!

Intimacy and connection require nothing but two individuals willing to make it work. Effort goes a long way and these are only a few ways that you can show your efforts a little extra on this upcoming Valentine’s Day! Don’t let the distance between you and your partner overshadow this beautiful day that is meant to celebrate what brought you two together: love.

Bianca Lagman is a 4th-year UCLA student majoring is Economics. As an INFP, her hobbies include singing, knitting, and getting in a good workout!