5 Booty-Building Workouts To Do In Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College can be a circus. From studying for midterms, maintaining your relationships, and getting enough sleep, it can feel like you’re juggling a million different things at once. Working out is one of those things students can have trouble fitting into their busy schedule, and the jam-packed on-campus gyms don’t exactly help with the time crunch you may be in. Here are some simple workouts you can do to target your glutes in the comfort and convenience of your own dorm (or apartment), so that getting your daily dose of physical activity can be checked off your list in no time:

FIRE HYDRANTS

We all love dogs, right? For this one, channel your inner dog! This workout will get your gluteus medius activated, allowing for a more round shape to your butt and targeting your outer glute. To do this workout, start in an all-fours position with your hands square to your shoulders and knees square to your hips. Keeping your core tight and engaged, lift one knee up to your side. Imagine that you are a dog peeing on a fire hydrant! Lower your knee back down and repeat. For this workout, I recommend doing one side at a time, as it does take a couple of reps to feel the burn.

DONKEY KICKS

Similar to the fire hydrants, stay on all fours. Because this workout is a hip-hyperextension, it targets your gluteus maximus, the largest out of your three gluteal muscles. While keeping your core engaged, kick one foot up to the ceiling, keeping your leg slightly bent and driving from your hips. Use your hamstrings to pull your foot upward. Your kick should reach its maximum point right before your back starts to arch, and ensure that you squeeze your butt at the top. Do one leg at a time and switch between reps!

SQUATS/JUMP SQUATS

If regular, body-weight squats just aren’t giving you the burn you desire, these definitely will! Jumping squats are a great way to get your blood pumping while targeting both your glutes and quads. Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Keep your core tight and engaged. Try doing a couple of normal squats first and see how those feel! Do this by bending your knees while bringing your butt to the floor, like you’re sitting in an imaginary chair. If you find those too easy, go ahead and start jumping squats! When you reach the bottom of your squat, jump as high as you can while straightening your legs out at the top. Make sure to be explosive! Land gently and straight into your next squat, to ensure that you won’t put any excess strain on your knees.

GLUTE BRIDGES

Do not underestimate the power of the glute bridge; this exercise will target your booty like no other! To do this exercise, lie on your back with knees bent about shoulder-width apart and arms flat on the floor and by your side. While keeping your core tight and engaged, drive your hips to the sky. Stop when you have created a straight line from your chest to knees; do not go past this point. The key is to squeeze and hold your butt in this position when you reach this point. Then, lower your hips back down and repeat. If this is too easy for you, try one-legged glute bridges! To do this, repeat the same exact steps, but instead of having your feet planted shoulder-width apart, have one foot planted while your other leg is extended straight into the air. Alternate legs after each set to ensure one cheek isn’t getting all the love! This is a simple exercise that many might overlook, but trust that this will have your booty burning in no time!

REVERSE LUNGES

Reverse lunges are extremely effective when it comes to perking up that booty and targeting fullness! To do this exercise, keep your feet about shoulder-width apart and keep your core tight and engaged. Then, choose one foot and take a step backward, landing on the ball of your foot, as if you are kneeling. Do not, however, let your knee touch the ground. When looking from a profile, you should be creating a 90-degree angle to the floor with your front, planted leg. Ensure that you keep your hips tucked in and resist the urge to let your butt pop out. Continue alternating sides each time. Depending on how you angle your upper body, you can target your quads more or your glutes more. To target glutes, keep your torso angled a little more forward as if you are going up an escalator.

Living in a limited-space environment can make staying active difficult, but not impossible! Dorms can feel cramped, dull and even draining. Trust me, I have my days where even just getting yourself out of bed is a task on its own. You don’t have to become a product of your environment; with these simple, space-saving workouts, you can get your blood pumping in no time and in the comfort of your own space. I believe in you!

Bianca Lagman is a 4th-year UCLA student majoring is Economics. As an INFP, her hobbies include singing, knitting, and getting in a good workout!