Style > Beauty

5 Black-Owned Makeup Brands To Try On Your Next Westwood Ulta Shopping Spree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Makeup is one of the most fun ways to express oneself. When I wear makeup I feel confident, feminine and fierce. Although it’s seemingly been dubbed a sign of insecurity, I believe makeup is a symbol of self-expression. It’s an opportunity to be creative and have fun. Therefore, for fear of draining my poor bank account, I rarely let myself step foot in the Westwood Ulta. But next time you cave and treat yourself to a little pick-me-up, think about trying out one of these five Black-owned makeup brands that you may have never heard of:

JUvia’s Place

Juvia’s Place was founded by Chichi Eburu after years of dissatisfaction with the muted colors offered by popular makeup brands. Unlike traditional brands, she uses bolder, brighter colors to emphasize all skin tones and cater her products to everyone.

Beauty Bakerie

Beauty Bakerie is the culmination of cosmetics, philanthropy and inclusivity. Founder Cashmere Nicole takes pride in what women put into their bodies, prioritizing all-natural and cruelty-free ingredients in her products. She also uses her brand to spearhead two different projects supporting orphaned children in Uganda and Tanzania. Beauty Bakerie’s products fit their title, packaged in baking-themed boxes with clever titles. True to theme, the makeup brushes even look like whisks and spatulas!

Mented Cosmetics

KJ Miller and Amanda E. Johnson created Mented Cosmetics to be an inclusive brand no matter one’s skin tone. They specifically focus on matching foundation and lipsticks, two items which Black customers typically feel do not represent their skin tone due to a lack of darker shades.

Uoma Beauty

Founder of Uoma Beauty Sharon Chuter set out to create an inclusive brand that celebrates African heritage and tribe culture. Her online foundation matching program helps you find the best color for your skin tone, taking into consideration shade and undertone to get that perfect shade.

Ace Beauté

Inspired by childhood memories of her grandmother’s joy surrounding makeup, Niye Aniekan-Attang founded Ace Beauté. She wants to help all people express themselves through makeup in an equitable way. Find Ace Beauté’s false lashes at Ulta!

For centuries the beauty industry has been dominated by white beauty standards and white creators. Many brands still don’t offer inclusive shades, colors that compliment non white skin tones or shoot with models of different ethnicities. Remember to keep these things in mind next time you’re at Ulta and choosing where your money goes! As the customers, we often hold much more power than we realize.

Ciara is a third year UCLA student from Oakland, CA who is majoring in Public Health. She loves to travel and explore new places; especially when there's any kind of ocean involved. When she's not busy workshopping her next Her Campus article, you can find Ciara sipping her morning coffee somewhere sunny, relaxing in her hammock, or chasing a sunset.