Life > Experiences

5 Appetizers You Need For Your Super Bowl Sunday Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The date and time are set. The invitation texts are sent out. The final two teams are nearly decided. In only a week, millions of televisions around the country will be tuned in to Super Bowl LVI to watch one of the biggest sports competitions of the year, as well as the highly anticipated halftime show with Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar. And while watching football may not really be your thing, I can almost guarantee that every American has attended (or at least been invited to) a Super Bowl Sunday party at least ~once~ in their lifetime. 

If you have taken on the responsibility of hosting your own party this year, you may already be scouring the internet for football decorations and finger food recipes to ensure the event is one for the books. But scour no more because I’ve assembled a list of five must-have appetizers to prompt even the pickiest of eaters to say “Wow!” when snacking this Super Bowl Sunday. 

1. 7-Layer Dip

I will say this once, and I cannot stress this enough: Make. Seven. Layer. Dip. This will without a doubt be the hit of your party, as my roommates and I cannot get enough of this dip whenever I decide to whip up a batch for an event. The layers (from bottom to top) are as follows: Fritos bean dip, fresh guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, green onions and black olives. All you have to do is put each layer on top of the other and serve with tortilla chips. Prep a couple of hours before and put in the refrigerator to cool before guests come!  

2. Pizza or Taco Cups

A fun, miniature take on normal party foods are these pizza cupcakes and taco cups made in a normal-sized cupcake pan. For the pizzas, press Pillsbury biscuit dough into the pan, fill with pizza sauce, and add any toppings you’d like (pepperonis, cheese, bell peppers, olives, etc…). For the taco cups, similarly, press wonton wrappers into the pan, then fill with ground beef (or other meat, if you prefer) as well as toppings (cheese, tomatoes, avocado, and so on). Bake both appetizers until golden brown. They’re super small and super cute, people will adore them!

3. Fajita Stuffed Bell-Peppers

These meat-stuffed bell-peppers are super easy to prepare and are a new take on a classic fan-favorite meal! Slice your bell peppers in half, then fill them with chicken stuffing (there are many recipes you can Google that will give you a list of spices to add to your chicken in order to make the flavor pop). Top with cheese then throw in the oven for about twenty minutes or until the peppers are crispy. Healthified fajitas, what could be better?

4. Nacho Table

I have seen this idea all over Instagram, and while I have never tried it myself, I can honestly say that I REALLY WANT TO. Cover a small table entirely with aluminum foil, unload several bags of tortilla chips (enough to cover the foil), then load on the melted cheese! Once your nacho base is created, as with all of these other appetizers, add your toppings (and be generous, we want loaded nachos, not chips with a drop of cheese and one diced tomato). This appetizer will bring tons of people together for good food and good conversation, try it out!

5. Air-Fried Chicken Wings

Unless you live under a rock then you know that air-fryers are all the rage right now. An easy, fun party appetizer that is an absolute must for Super Bowl Sunday is chicken wings. But now, to make preparation even easier, you can just air fry them! To make sure they’re really a hit for your guests, provide as many dipping sauces as you can find to cater to a range of preferences and palettes. Bon-appetit! 

All of the instructions and ingredients for these recipes can be found online if you need more specifics, and I suggest you look into them if you want to be the talk of the town for your amazing party dishes. Nothing brings people together like food does, so make this upcoming Super Bowl Sunday a great one by cheffing up and eatin’ good! And remember: anyone can cook, so don’t be afraid to give it a try. Enjoy!

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!