4 Things to be Thankful for Even If You Aren’t Going Home for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As an international student, I can say firsthand that Thanksgiving isn’t always as exciting as it is for those students who have the luxury of going home over the break. Instead, it can be quite a homesick time. Staying on campus when it is half empty and all your friends have gone home can be very lonely, while spending the break with friends’ families only reminds you of how far you are from your own.  However, this shouldn’t mean that it isn’t a time to still be thankful and even just enjoy some time off! I know it can be hard to remember to be thankful when you are so far from home, so here are some reminders of things to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.

Be thankful for…

1.) UCLA

Why did you leave home in the first place? You left everyone you knew and travelled thousands of miles to be at one of the world’s top universities. Be thankful for hard you worked and the things you gave up to be here! Also be thankful for the support of your family and the sacrifices they made to give you this amazing opportunity.

2.) LA

This short break is the perfect opportunity to get out and explore LA. You are lucky enough to live in one of the most exciting cities in the world, so take advantage of that! With finals coming up, this could be one of your last chances to get out of Westwood before the quarter ends. Go to the beach before winter comes around, have some fried chicken and waffles for brunch, go on a hike to the Hollywood sign, treat yourself to some shopping, marvel at art at some of the finest museums in the world. The options are endless! Be thankful for this beautiful city and all the sensational activities that LA has to offer. 

P.S. If you want to give back to the people of the city, check out some of these great volunteering opportunities: https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/things-to-do/volunteer-opportunities-in-los-angeles 

3.) Friends 

Celebrate this Thanksgiving with your family away from home: your friends. If you don’t want to venture home with a friend to spend Thanksgiving with their family, Friendsgiving is an option that is becoming more and more common. If all your friends are going home, make some new ones! The Dashew Center is hosting a free event where you can attend a Thanksgiving dinner at the home of a UCLA alumnus (http://www.internationalcenter.ucla.edu/Event/EventDetails/16F-PR-T09/a-hosted-thanksgiving-dinner-2016). 

4.) You

Finally, if you’re celebrating this Thanksgiving alone, there is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. Surround yourself with the things YOU love and are grateful for. Take the time to show yourself some much-needed and well-deserved self-care and self-love. It took a lot of bravery and courage to come across the country or world by yourself and throw yourself into a completely foreign experience, so be proud of yourself and thankful for all your strengths! 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.