Career > Money

4 Resources To Take Advantage Of If You’re A Low-income Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College is an expensive investment. If you’re anything like me, you’re paying for it on your own, scrambling to find scholarships and working part-time jobs to make ends meet all while trying to pursue higher education. But take heart. There are a lot of resources out there that will make life easier. It just requires resourcefulness and research. Some of these resources are welfare programs and others are right here on campus.

When you’re on your own financially, it’s easy to fall into despair and feel like you’re all alone. You may also feel inclined to be stubborn and not accept any outside help. But I assure you, these resources will ease the burden. It’s okay to ask for help. You may not qualify for all of them, but if you’re in need, there’s something for you out there. Here are just four of many:

FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid for the 2023-2024 school year opened this month. It’s absolutely essential that you complete this if you’re a student in need of some extra funds. The FAFSA is your main source of financial aid, and it’ll provide you with grants and loans depending on your status. The FAFSA application is due April 1, 2023, but it’s best if you get it done early as you’re more likely to qualify for grants. The application is pretty easy to navigate, but if this is your first time and you have questions about it, you can reach out to UCLA’s financial aid office.

CALFREsh

Living off-campus can be taxing as you have to buy your own groceries, household supplies and other necessities. Thankfully, Calfresh is available to help offset that cost. Calfresh is California’s version of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, meaning that this is essentially a food stamps program. Participants can receive up to $250 a month for groceries and access the money through an Electronic-Benefits Transfer Card that acts as a debit card. Each month, the card will be reloaded with funds, and you can use it at qualifying stores. In addition, the UCLA Calfresh Initiative, a team of students who help people apply for this program, is available if you have any questions.

USAC’s financial supports commission

The Financial Supports Commision (FSC) is a branch of UCLA student government that advocates for students’ financial needs. This organization has developed different initiatives and programs for students in need, including finance workshops and loan programs. For example, FSC’s Business Outreach Council has partnered with Associated Students UCLA and businesses in Westwood to bring discounts to students. Check out this site for a list. FSC also has resources to assist students with the financial aid process, from a financial aid timeline to a guide on how to get the most out of your application.

economic crisis response team
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

The Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) is available to assist students experiencing an extreme financial crisis that affects their academic ability to succeed. ECRT understands that being in such a crisis can make students feel embarrassed, so they’re dedicated to helping students “efficiently, compassionately and discreetly.” This organization can help students with housing, short term loans, grants, meal vouchers and more. All you have to do is take their self-assement form to see if you qualify for their assistance. Their website also provides specific information on receiving emergency meals and where you can get them.

School is hard enough already and having to worry about your finances can make college feel impossible. I assure you that you can do it and that there are plenty of additional resources out there to support you. You may be tempted to feel ashamed or weak for needing help, but the reality is you are a strong and resourceful person for being able to navigate your finances on your own thus far.

Louise is a junior double majoring in English and Economics. She loves reading contemporary fiction and making Spotify playlists.