4 New Hobbies I’ve Taken Up During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Following social distancing guidelines, many of us have been stuck at home for the last six months. While life as we knew it came to a halt, a new way of life has come to fruition. Quarantine has forced us to adopt new hobbies that we may not have had time for pre-Covid. Although I miss parts of life from before, I have had so much fun these last couple of months finding new hidden talents and passions from all of the fun activities I’ve gotten to try- all from the safety of my home. In finding new ways to pass the time, I’ve compiled a list here of the top four quarantine activities that are keeping me busy!

Diamond Art Club

One of my first quarantine hobbies was paint-by-numbers, but now I am starting to get into Diamond Art Club which is a combination of both paint-by-numbers and cross stitch. The Diamond Art Club kits apply colorful resin rhinestones to rich canvas paintings. By the end, you’ve created a shimmering mosaic of diamond artwork. They come in so many different designs, with collections ranging from animals to nature to fantasy and more. It’s been really relaxing to work on my painting and I can’t wait to see it all come together, might even be cute to hang up in my dorm room once we’re back on campus.

Trying Enough Project’s New Skincare Line

Quarantine presented me with the perfect time to start getting a handle on my skincare. I decided I wanted to try out a totally new skin care routine because my old one just wasn’t cutting it anymore. While doing research, I came across Enough Project, which is Amorepacific’s new vegan skincare line. Their whole goal behind this line is to remind consumers that “You Are Enough Just The Way You Are”, and I was really attracted to that message. I’m drawn to this line because their products are simple, gender-neutral, and they steer clear of unnecessary preservatives and synthetic colorants. Their line consists of a Cleansing Oil, Cleansing Foam, Essential Skin Toner, Essential Lotion, and Moisture Cream- and they’re all available on Amazon for under $20. 

Making Glotrition Smoothies

While I’ve never been great in the kitchen, quarantine has helped me discover new easy recipes that someone as cooking-challenged as I can exceed at. From whipped coffee to acai bowls, I’ve been having a lot of fun finding new snacks and meals to introduce into my daily routine. One of my favorite new additions to my diet has been smoothies. From berry to green to tropical, making my morning smoothie has lowkey become the highlight of my days. Since I’ve also been on a mission to vamp up my skincare routine. I’ve been killing two birds with one stone with introducing Glotrition’s Super Beauty Elixir into my morning smoothie, maintaining my morning smoothie routine and also advancing my skin care. Their elixir adds an extra boost of collagen to feed the deeper layers of the skin, and when paired with the Super Beauty Serum, the dual-delivery skincare starts showing results within 30 days.

Here’s the recipe they recommend most for mixing:

Super Beauty Smoothie 

In a blender, combine:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

1 stick of Glotrition’s Super Beauty Elixir

2 scoops vanilla flavored protein powder

1 frozen banana

1/4 C fresh or frozen blueberries

1/4 C frozen cherries

Juice from 1/2 lemon

1 T flaxseeds

Blend. Drink. Glo.

Start Journaling with Silk + Sonder 

One thing I am constantly trying to improve at is organization. Especially with everything being online now, I find deadlines and meetings so much more difficult to keep track of. I have been searching high and low for an efficient planner that can help me get more organized, and I think Silk + Sonder’s monthly planner journal experience might be what I’ve been looking for. They aim to empower their users to live the lives they’ve always wanted, and their process is an experience unlike any other. Each month is inspired by a different theme, and customers get each month’s issue hand-curated, designed, and delivered to their door step. Blending productivity and planning, introspection and mindfulness, and lifestyle content into each issue, this planner journal has everything you could want out of an agenda. As someone who is constantly searching for the perfect planner, I like the idea of a planner experience that is the first of its kind. 

Quarantine has sparked an immense amount of change into our lives, but change can sometimes be good. I know that for me, quarantine has helped me discover hobbies I may have never found otherwise, and for that I am grateful. I can’t wait to keep discovering new brands with creative products!

Grace is a senior at UCLA majoring in communications with a minor in film. In addition to being a Co-Senior Editor for Her Campus, Grace writes and models for FAST (Fashion and Student Trends).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.