This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The time has come, collegiettes- senior year, the final stretch of our undergraduate career. If you’re anything like me, you’re freaking out about what steps you need to make to ensure financial stability after leaving college- AKA, securing a job.

Here are just a few simple steps you can take to give yourself a head start on the career search throughout your final year as an undergrad!

1. Take advantage of the events offered by the Career Center.

I will admit- when I receive those influx of emails from the career center, I have the tendency to just skip over them. DON’T DO THIS. Believe it or not, those emails are often a gold mine when it comes to providing you with important events on campus that can help you with your job hunt. From hiring fairs to financial planning workshops, these opportunities can be essential in helping you find the company or organization that might be perfect for you, and networking with professionals that can make a huge difference in your career path.

2.  Attend a resume workshop.

After graduation, and even during the course of your senior year, you will likely be applying to several jobs and internships. It goes without saying – they will thoroughly consider your resume and your past accomplishments and experience. The career center and several other professional development organizations will hold workshops throughout the school year to help you tweak your resume so that it is crisp and ready for employers. It is always a good idea to have a second set of (professional) eyes to look at your resume and tell you what you may need to cut down on, or add on. Even small grammatical errors on your resume can cause employers to second guess their decisions!

3. Complete a profile on Bruin View.

Bruin View is UCLA’s comprehensive job search page that you can access on myucla under the finances and jobs tab. Here you can upload your resume, find jobs that fit your career goals and apply to those jobs as well. Start completing your profile as early in the year as you possibly can- not only will this probably be your freest time oh the year school wise, but deadlines for applying will approach quickly!

4. Make sure your online presence is as clean as possible.

We all have photos taken of us at parties that we don’t necessarily approve of, but they end up getting posted to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter anyway. Employers can and will check your online presence! Make sure you start as early as possible to ensure any unprofessional photos or posts are either removed completely, or that you are untagged from them.  

images courtesy of pinterest.com and abine.com

Sarah Ahern is a sophomore at UC Irvine studying literary journalism. Aside from writing for HerCampus, she interns for the self-help website DreamitAlive.com. In her free time, she enjoys writing, playing tennis, and baking.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.