Wellness > Mental Health

3 Ways I Have Been Staying Positive While Living At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The stay-at-home order has been hard on all of us. For most college students, it is a huge adjustment to move back home indefinitely, and it can be difficult to look on the bright side of the situation. Here are 3 ways I have been staying positive while living at home:

Getting Off Social Media

The constant onslaught of news surrounding COVID-19 can be overwhelmingly negative and upsetting. I have recently begun a social media cleanse in an attempt to distance myself from the stress that comes with endlessly scrolling through articles about everything going on. While it is important to stay informed, social media makes it hard to control when you want to be updated and where you get your news from. If your mental health has been negatively affected by social media and the news, I highly recommend setting some time in the day to put aside your phone and get offline.

Keeping Busy

Another way I have been working to stay positive is to keep myself busy. Since we are all stuck inside, for the most part, it can be tempting to just lie in bed all day and be completely unproductive. However, when I do this for too long, I tend to get upset about not being able to see my friends for at least six months, or I just get bored! I have been trying to do some activity every day, whether that’s painting, working out or learning to DIY my clothes. Of course, it is a huge privilege to have the downtime to do all of this. I am lucky to not have to worry about things like making rent. Also, there is never any shame in struggling to get out of bed on a bad mental health day, no matter what your situation is. If it is possible, doing something to get your mind off things and to feel good about yourself is always a great way to keep your head up. 

Staying Connected

Being physically distanced from all your friends can be difficult for a lot of people. Luckily, the Internet makes it much easier to remain socially close to the ones you care about. Whether that is through texting and calling, playing online games or watching TV shows together, there are countless ways to stay in touch with people that you can’t physically see. It is more important now than ever to check in with your friends, especially if you know they struggle with things like mental health or family issues. 

This is not the ideal situation for anyone. Many of us are struggling to adapt to this new lifestyle of studying or working from home, but there are a lot of ways to remain as positive as possible. Also remember, the more we comply now, the sooner this will all be over, so stay at home!

Rachel was the Co-Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at UCLA in the 2021-2022 academic year. In her free time, she loves hanging around flea markets and exploring different neighborhoods in LA!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.