Wellness > Health

3 Simple Ways To Cleanse Your Space For Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Spring is a beautiful time of change and evolution. It’s also a great reminder to check our own environment and how it is affecting our own personal mood changes. The blooming flowers and shining sun are wonderful, but it means nothing if the space you come back to at the end of every day isn’t fueling you in the same way. A lot of energy is held in the things we hold in our room. Whether it be old clothes or old memories, it’s important to be mindful of what items are bringing down your energy. Here are three simple ways to cleanse your space for spring:

sort through your closet

I highly doubt you really need that old high school T-shirt that you swear you are going to wear to bed one day. Getting rid of clothes is not an easy feat. However, clothes hold a lot of energy, especially if it is disorganized. If you haven’t worn it in the past six months, you should probably get rid of it. If you can’t find any clothes to get rid of, organize your closet. Get rid of that pile of clothes that is dragging you down every time you see it. There is no better time than now!

clean out The clutter

I love keeping little knick-knacks just for the sake of nostalgia. Or even keeping long-overdue makeup that should be thrown away. This is your sign to go through every item you own and decide if you should get rid of it or keep it. We own a lot more things than we realize, and minimalistic living is a lot lighter on our brains. It may feel overwhelming and daunting to imagine going through every drawer in your room. Taking it one section at a time while listening to a good podcast or upbeat music can allow time to go so much faster.

rearrange your space

Sometimes looking at the same thing every single day can bring down your energy. It gets boring after a while and doesn’t stimulate your brain in any way. A change of environment, no matter how small, can allow your mind to refresh itself. Even the slightest shift in furniture or organization will rejuvenate your spring days!

I used to think “spring cleaning” was an idea that only revolved around sanitizing your door handles or dusting your shelves. Contrarily, it actually has a lot to do with cleaning your energy and setting yourself up for success by doing so. It definitely is not an overnight task, so find some time every day, now matter how small, dedicated to cleansing your space. It is your sanctuary.

Bianca Lagman is a 4th-year UCLA student majoring is Economics. As an INFP, her hobbies include singing, knitting, and getting in a good workout!