IMG 4529 1jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 4529 1jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Renee Lee

The 2019 NBA Awards: Shaq, Robin Roberts, Tiffany Haddish & More Graced The Red Carpet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The 2019 NBA Awards presented by Kia, held by Turner Sports and the NBA on TNT, took place on June 24th at Barker Hangar. Her Campus at UCLA had the tremendous honor of covering the red carpet! The night was filled with star power, as many of the most esteemed players and figures in the sports industry made appearances to celebrate the nominees. With attendees including Tiffany Haddish, Samuel L. Jackson, Quavo and more, the carpet was exciting and never dull. We got a glimpse of Shaquille O’Neal, or as most know him, Shaq, who was the host of the evening. And seeing Magic Johnson, one of the recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award, also made for an incredible moment. Check out our highlights for the evening! 

We ran into Luka Doncic from Dallas Mavericks, who was later awarded as NBA Rookie of the Year for the 2018-2019 season! 

Washington Wizards point guard, John Wall, wore a pink suit jacket with a bumble bee pin, and seemed to be making a healthy recovery from his injuries. Wall was the 2015-16 recipient of the NBA Community Assist award. 

Bradley Beal, winner of the 2019 NBA Community Assist Award, stopped for an interview nearby. Beal has been recognized for his community work with Ron Brown College Preparatory High School, a Washington D.C. high school. 

The host of this season’s awards show, Shaq, looked dapper in blue.

Artists 2 Chainz and Quavo also made appearances!

We got a selfie with hip hop artist, Lecrae, who was so sweet.

Rudy Gobert dazzled in a blue suit. The Utah Jazz center won Defensive Player of the Year for the second season in a row.  

UCLA legend Bill Walton (Go Bruins!) gave a fist bump to Trae Young, one of the nominees for Rookie of the Year Award. 

We spotted Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, NBA’s all-time leading scorer and the first NBA player to play for 20 seasons. 

Tiffany Haddish, one of the presenters for the evening, stopped by for several interviews. Hasan Minhaj and his beautiful wife posed in the background for a photo. 

Robin Roberts stunned in a gorgeous jumpsuit. She received the 2019 Sager Strong Award. 

Magic Johnson arrived with Cookie Johnson, and the lovely couple looked trim in their color-coordinated outfits. Magic was this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, along with Larry Bird. 

For the full list of winners, make sure to check out the NBA Awards. Stay updated with their twitter and hashtag #NBAawards! Thank you for having us! 

Renée is an alumna at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and served as the HCUCLA Editor in Chief and one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2019-2020 school year. She is passionate about storytelling and pushing for more Asian American representation in fashion and entertainment.