20 Things all Curly Haired Girls know are #Relatable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Thanks to my Mom, Dad, Mother Nature and my destiny, I was put on this planet with flowing brown locks of curly hair. When I was a little girl I did absolutely nothing to tame my tresses, which resulted in my family gracing me with the nickname “wild woman”, which has stuck with me to this very day, mind you, that I have always taken as kind endearment. I have loved my hair and embraced its frizziness my whole life, and I’m damn proud of my ringlets. With that being said, I know the territory of having curly hair comes at a cost: a painful, uncooperative and occasionally frustrating cost. This is the burden we must bear to be our beautiful and naturally untamable selves, but I think we all still reserve the right to complain about our gift every now and then. Here are things that only my fellow curly crowned women will fully understand.

1) Everyone you talk to always says they wish they had curly hair and you’re just like

2) The struggle of going outside in the humidity

3) You’re like 98% more likely to get your hair stuck in your lip gloss

4) People always ask you if your curls are natural

5) When you hear people with straight hair complaining about their struggle and you’re just like

6) Breaking multiple hair ties because you can’t contain your curls in a bun

7) But when you finally get the bun to stick it looks amazing

8) You tried brushing your hair at one point in time…

9) Now you never brush your hair… like ever, and people think that’s crazy

10) Your hair always looks thick and full, no matter how thin it actually is

11) When everybody else curls their hair for special occasions and you straighten yours

12) Then when you straighten your hair everybody makes a big deal out of it

13) And people think you’re almost unrecognizable

14) When you straighten your hair and then it rains as soon as you leave the house and your curls reappear

15) You spend your money on frizz control products that never work

16) Everyone is always referring to your hair as a mane

17) You constantly have people touching your hair…

18) And then you get annoyed  when they pull a curl and make that “boing” noise

19) You can really pull off that “roll out of bed” look

20) At the end of the day, you love the hair you were born with

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

I'm a small town-raised girl exploring the jungle that is Los Angeles. I'm currently in my third year of studying English Literature and Psychology at UCLA, with hopes of minoring in la lingua di Italiano. Along with being an HC contributor, my works have been published across other magazines, websites, and blogs, including LOCALE Magazine, Healthy UCLA (Mind Well section), and Her Blank Canvas. I am the founder of the non-profit Warm Hearts to Warm Hands, which teaches people the skill of knitting in exchange for an article of clothing made using their new skill, whch is then donated to local homeless shelters. I have an immense love for Pride and Prejudice, hot tea, and the human body.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.