14 Songs To Add To Your Galentine’s Day Playlist To Celebrate Your Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

What’s better than Valentine’s Day? Galentine’s Day! Celebrating with friends can be just as special whether you are going out or having a night in. No matter what you are doing, at some point, you are going to need music! Here are 14 songs to add to your Galentine’s playlist:

Best Friend – Saweetie ft. Doja Cat

Last year, Saweetie and Doja blessed us with a best friend anthem! Therefore, of course, it has a top spot on our Galentine’s playlist. The song is a great reminder of how much of a baddie your best friend is, and how much of a baddie you are!

Aint Sh*t – Doja Cat 

Doja Cat holds another spot on our playlist with a song from her latest album. This song is perfect for Galentine’s Day because not only does it remind you that you don’t need a man (or significant other), but it also reminds you to listen to the wisdom of your friends.

Independent Women – Destiny’s Child

Keeping up the theme of being a powerful woman, “Independent Women” by Destiny’s Child is a classic empowerment song. Remember that you and your besties are completely self-sufficient. You do not have to rely on a partner to be physically, emotionally or financially complete.

No Scrubs – TLC

Another throwback! TLC reminds us that we do not need to settle for people beneath us. I feel this song laid the foundation for song #2 on this playlist. Until we find the right person for us, at least you have your friends by your side.

Confident – Demi Lovato 

While this song doesn’t explicitly mention friendship or relationship troubles, it is still a song great for empowerment. One of the cores of Galentine’s Day is female empowerment, so there needs to be a couple of songs on the playlist to remind us of this.“Confident” by Demi Lovato fills this need perfectly.

Girl on Fire – Alicia Keys

Continuing the theme of female empowerment, “Girl on Fire” is perfect for Galentine’s Day. No matter what field you and your besties are in, you are on fire! Never forget that, and if you do, listen to this song.

Me & My Girls – Selena Gomez

The title for this song is pretty self-explanatory. Having a girl squad is the best during Galentine’s Day and throughout life. Thank you, Selena, for giving us a song to remind us of that. 

Girls Night Out (G.N.O) – Miley Cyrus

This song definitely gives nostalgia to our childhood. Fifteen (yes, 15!) years later, and it is still a bop. Even if your Galentine’s Day is not a “night out,” this song is still essential because everyone is going to scream it to the top of their lungs.

That’s My Girl – Fifth Harmony

Fifth Harmony may not be together anymore, but this anthem they gave us right before they disbanded will forever hold a place in my heart. This song gives me the push I need when I’m going through a rough patch. It’s perfect for reminding your besties that no matter what they are going through, you will motivate them and be proud of them.

You Don’t Own Me – sayGrace ft G-Eazy

No one owns you or your girls! Play this song to remind yourselves that you don’t owe anyone anything. If possible, find the edited version on youtube without G-Eazy to keep the gal vibes only, since it is Galentine’s Day, after all. 

Since You’ve Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson

When I asked my friends that I am spending Galentine’s Day with what songs should be on this playlist, they immediately brought up this one. Therefore, we are adding another early 2000s throwback in honor of my gal pals. Plus, they are totally onto something, as this song celebrates being able to breathe outside of a relationship. 

Oath – Cher Lloyd feat. Becky G

I used to listen to this song all the time and forgot about it. I recently came across it, and it unlocked a chamber of memories that I forgot about. Maybe you listened to this song too in middle school or early high school. “Oath” truly is a great song for celebrating friendship, so bring it back this Galentine’s Day.

Twinnem – Coi Leray

If you are on TikTok, you are no stranger to this song. With lyrics such as “go best friend” and joking about “no new friends,” how could you not add this to a playlist to celebrate your best friends? Maybe you can make some fun TikToks while you are at it.

Wannabe – Spice Girls

The chorus of this song literally says, “If you want to be my lover, you gotta get with my friends. Make it last forever, friendship never ends.” This line embodies the meaning of Galentine’s Day! Because while relationships may be temporary, true friendship is permanent.

Single or taken, I hope you all have a wonderful Galentine’s Day. May it be filled with bestie spa treatments, mocktail/cocktail making, movie nights, fun dinners and whatever your heart desires. Of course, don’t forget the music.

BriannaRose is a UCLA Communications major and Film/TV minor who aspires to break boundaries and stigmas. As an aspiring creative director and editorial writer, she works on student films and photography projects, and has professional experience in entertainment and fashion journalism, fashion public relations and internal communications for cable. In addition to writing, BriannaRose volunteers at local animal shelters, competes in pageants, and is always excited to read a contemporary romance novel.