Miley Cyrus Released “Flowers,” And I’ve Never Hated Liam Hemsworth More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’m sure this is not the first time you have heard about this masterpiece, but how can I not talk about Miley Cyrus’s new song “Flowers” when it is this ICONIC.

Photo Via @MileyCyrus

In the event you don’t know what I am talking about, Miley released a new song on January 13th, which just so happens to be her ex-husband Liam Hemsworth’s birthday.

In the span of a week, “Flowers” has easily become my new favorite song and has remained on repeat mode on my Spotify. The song has so many hidden layers alluding to their relationship, and the music video is layered with even more references. 

Starting with the song itself, Miley draws upon their relationship by interpolating Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man”, a song that Liam dedicated to Miley during their relationship. She draws upon lyrics such as “I should have bought you flowers” and “take you to every party ’cause all you wanted to do was dance” and twists them into “I can buy myself flowers” and “I can take myself dancing.” She follows all of these lyrics with an assertion, “I can love me better, baby”. 

In true girlboss fashion, she accompanies these lyrics with a music video that hits even harder. The video was shot at a house that alledgedly was used by Liam to cheat on Miley with 14 different women during the course of her relationship. People also speculated over the outfit Miley wore in the video, saying that it resembled the dress that Jennifer lawrence wore to the Hunger Games premiere. Why would she allude to Jennifer though? In an interview when asked about Liam, Jennifer did not deny allegations that she kissed Liam Hemsworth before, but instead said “Liam’s real hot, what would you have done?”

Video Via @MileyCyrus

Regardless of the truth of what may have happened between Lawrence and Hemsworth, it does not negate the artistry that Miley put into crafting this song and music video. She dealt with the pain and emotions that she endured through her last relationship through her songwriting and art, and there is still kudos to give for the work put into developing it. 

miley cyrus and dolly parton
Vijat Mohindra/NBC

And thankfully, although Miley released this powerful distrack, she is happily in a relationship now with punk rock artist, Maxx Morando. They have been together for over a year now and were most recently spotted together at Miley’s NYE show. So a lesson to learn here? Don’t cheat, and Miley Crrus is objectively a badass. 

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus