Style

11 Ways To Wear Stripes Any Time Of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Stripes never go out of fashion! They’re so simple and versatile you could wear them every day without looking weird. Depending on how you style stripes, they can be cute or edgy, casual or formal. Here are 11 easy ways to make them work for any outfit, any time:

1. A Crop Top

The striped crop top is something that pretty much everyone has. They can be casual enough to wear with just a pair of sweatpants on a comfy day like pictured here, but cute enough to wear out, too. 

2. A Men’s Dress Shirt

Oversized striped dress shirts from the men’s section are so underrated. They’re easy to wear for some light coverage and add more interest to a basic outfit. So next time, think about a striped shirt instead of plaid. 

3. A T-shirt

A striped t-shirt is a staple in anyone’s wardrobe because they’re versatile enough to wear with pretty much anything. They come in a variety of color combinations and stripe thicknesses, so go wild!

4. Layered Under a T-shirt

This is a classic way to spice up a simple graphic tee. Layering a striped shirt underneath a t-shirt instantly ups your style, and accompanied by some ripped jeans like here, they add a bit of edge to an otherwise simple look. 

5. Striped Pants

Interesting pants are a seriously underappreciated part of an outfit. These striped trousers aren’t too crazy to wear on a regular basis, but they’re still way more interesting than a regular pair of black jeans.

6. A Long Sleeved Polo

This is good for a more casual day when you want to be comfy but still cute. You can tie it up in a knot to make it a little less “just threw this on!”

7. A Tube Top

Everyone loves a good tube top. They are an essential for the summertime and look good with baggier pants. The striped version here allows for a ton of different color combinations to experiment with.

8. Paperbag Shorts

These oversized shorts are a fun way to experiment with silhouettes in your outfits instead of always wearing standard denim shorts. Pair them with a tight top to contrast the shapes.

9. A Matching Set

Wearing a matching set requires pretty much no effort because it’s automatically a bomb outfit. The vertical stripes in these sets also elongate your legs and make you look about six feet tall.

10. An Off-the-shoulder Top

These are going to be another essential as spring approaches us. Off-the-shoulder tops are comfortable in the heat and super cute, too. You can wear them on their own or under overall shorts like I did here!

11. A Blouse

A striped blouse might sound too formal and stifling, but it can be a fun way to incorporate a different texture and silhouette into your outfit. 

Rachel was the Co-Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at UCLA in the 2021-2022 academic year. In her free time, she loves hanging around flea markets and exploring different neighborhoods in LA!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.