10 Must-See Halloween Movies Ranked From Not-So-Spooky To Super Spooky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Do you love fall vibes and Halloween but absolutely hate horror movies? Or, do you love horror movies but are tired of watching the same ones over and over again? Or, maybe you’re just procrastinating for midterms and are looking for the perfect Halloween movie to watch? Either way, here are teen Halloween movies you have to check out, ranked from nostalgic and lighthearted to spine-chilling and spooky!

Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown is a Disney Channel original that brings back major nostalgic vibes. This movie follows young witch Marnie Piper as she attempts to save her town from evil supernatural forces. If you just can’t get enough of the first film (just like the rest of us), there are three other movies in the same series: Halloweentown High, Return to Halloweentown and Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge. Prepare to find comfort in the film’s outdated cinematic effects while laughing at the timeless jokes. 

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Hocus Pocus is another timeless 90s classic that we just can’t get enough of. After protagonist Max Dennison lights an evil candle and accidentally unlocks a trio of witches, Max and his friends have to stop the witches and save the day. If you’re looking for a halloween movie that’s a mixture of comedy and romance, with the occasional corny dialogue, Hocus Pocus is for you! Prepare to be spell-bound as you laugh and (potentially) happy cry at this Halloween classic.

The Addams Family (2019)

The classic opening notes of The Addams Family brings out all the nostalgia, making it the perfect comfort film to watch this Halloween. This animated comedy version of the 1991 classic features the members of the eccentric Addams Family and their struggles when a confrontation arises between the macabre family and TV show host Margaux Needler. The unique nature of the Addams Family perfectly matches the way we’re all feeling about virtual Halloween this year.

Goosebumps (2015)

If you were like me and loved reading the Goosebumps novels in middle school, definitely check out this 2015 movie! This movie follows main characters Zach, Hannah and Hannah’s father R.L Stine, who attempt to save the world after Zach accidentally unleashes the fictional monsters who are threatening to destroy the world. Also expect a super cute love story between the main characters, because who doesn’t love a romantic storyline in the middle of world-ending chaos?

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

While Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone isn’t a traditional Halloween movie, the magical realm of infinite creative possibilities along with elements of mystery certainly ticks all the boxes for the perfect Halloween film. And, if you’re Harry Potter obsessed just like me, why wouldn’t you want an excuse to keep rewatching your favourite series? Even though this movie isn’t technically scary, prepare to be on the edge of your seat for every moment of suspense, surprise, anticipation, and excitement. Also, isn’t Lord Voldemort just super creepy?

Coraline (2009)

Watching this movie as a naive twelve year old absolutely terrified me but now, I am now so impressed by this cinematically brilliant stop-motion animation. In this movie, a young girl, Coraline, finds a secret door while exploring her new home which entails a parallel universe. Very, very creepy stuff. If you don’t want to commit to a full-on horror movie but still want a bit of spookiness during your Halloween movie night, Coraline is definitely the movie for you.

Us (2019)

Directed by the iconic Jordan Peele, Us follows Adelaide Wilson and her family as they vacation in their beachfront home. Trouble linked to Adelaide’s dark past soon emerges, which threatens the livelihoods of their entire family and society in general. If you’re looking for a creepy horror this Halloween, then check out Us for a night full of constant twists and turns. Prepare to be glued to your screen and be completely surprised by the twisted ending of this movie. You definitely won’t see it coming.

IT (2019)

If you love reading Stephen King’s horror novels, stream It on Halloween night! As an adaptation of Stephen King’s 1986 novel, It follows a group of seven children as they face off against the murderous clown Pennywise. Warning: if you’re super freaked out by clowns this movie is NOT for you!

Halloween (1978)

Halloween is the absolute classic Halloween horror movie. Set in quiet and eerie Haddonfield, Illinois, the film follows the horrors facing the townspeople after serial killer Michael Myers escapes from prison and plans a series of attacks during Halloween night. If you’re a horror junkie, then grab a friend, grab some snacks and prepare to be terrified while watching this Halloween classic!

The Conjuring (2013)

If you’re looking for a super spooky Halloween movie that will keep you up all night, The Conjuring is definitely the way to go. As one of my all-time favourite horror movies, this film is packed with nail-biting jump scares and so much suspense. If you love this movie as much as I do, be sure to check out the other movies in the Conjuring universe: The Conjuring 2 and The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (coming out in 2021)!

Hopefully these movies get you in the mood for spooky season! Despite everything being virtual this Halloween, make the best out of your night by streaming a new Halloween movie from this list or binge-watching an all-time favorite Halloween classic.

Anya is a first-year economics major at UCLA and is a feature-writer for Her Campus. When she's not writing, she loves to scuba dive, go makeup shopping, and indulge in black sesame ice cream. She's obsessed with Disney movies and will 100% cry when watching Finding Nemo.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.