10 Fun Things to do in LA…When the Weather Sucks!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When the weather isn’t bright and sunny, most of us are just tempted to curl up in our beds and watch some Netflix. As relaxing and easy as that is to do, it can get really boring, really fast. I get it though–it’s so difficult to convince yourself to leave your dorm or apartment when it’s so gloomy outside. It feels like there’s nothing to anyway because of the weather, right? Wrong! There are still some awesome things you can do when the California winter starts to actually feel like a real winter!

So here is a list of just a few of the fun things this city has to offer you, freeze or shine! Warning: as you go down the list things do get more adventurous and thus a little further away from campus and harsher on your pocket. The list does include the most efficient way to get to the activity as well as an estimated travel time per activity, assuming you’re leaving from campus. Don’t forget to factor in any transportation and/or parking costs (and the fact that people in LA drive horribly when it’s raining!). Despite all that, I guarantee there is at least one activity here for everyone!

1. Host a crafting night

It’s totally up to you how much you want to spend on crafts and/or snacks! And for those of you who turn into homebodies when it’s gloomy outside, you’ll be happy to hear that you don’t have to leave your dorm/apartment…after you’ve got all your supplies of course! Click on the pic above to find out 20 Creative Things to do With a Mason Jar

2. Indoor rock climbing

You can do this at the John Wooden Centre – it’s free and it’s close-by! All you need is your BruinCard to get in! If rock climbing isn’t your thing then go online to check out all the other classes being offered by the Recreational Center. There’s something for everyone!

3. Go to a UCLA Basketball Game

There are a ton to choose from this season so check out the schedule on The Den website! It’s free if you have a Den Pass and $15 for a student ticket if you don’t. If basketball isn’t your thing then explore the website to see what other sports games/meets you could go to!

4. Go to a museum

There are plenty to choose from but here are some of the most popular ones in order of their proximity to Westwood:

• Hammer Museum – FREE admission and only a 15-minute walk from campus.
  • Getty Center – FREE admission but parking is $15 before 3pm or $10 after 3pm. It’s a 17-minute car ride from campus.  
  • LACMA – $10 admission with student ID and it’s a 34-minute car ride from campus.
  • Grammy Museum (my personal fave!) – $11.95 admission with student ID and it’s a 40-minute car ride from campus.

Don’t forget to check the websites for opening and closing times and to see what exhibitions are currently happening!

5. Go see a movie

There are three theatres within walking distance from campus (approximately a 15-minute walk), all of which have student discounts. One of them is the Landmark Regent Theatre and tickets there are $9 with student ID.

6. Go to an improv show

• The Improv Space – It’s FREE on Monday and Thursday nights and it’s only a 15-minute walk from campus.
  • The Improv – Pricing varies depending on the show but expect to pay around $15. It’s recommended that you buy tickets online since the events can get sold-out. It’s in Hollywood so expect a 30-minute car ride from campus.

7. Indoor roller skating or ice skating

• Moonlight Rollerway – Admission is $9 from 1:30pm to 4pm, and the skate rental is $5. This rink is in Glendale so prepare yourself for a 20-minute car ride.
  • Iceland Ice Skating – Admission is $10, and the skate rental is $5. This rink is in Studio City so it’s a little closer than the other one. Estimate a 15-minute car ride.

8. Indoor trampolining

The Sky Zone in Van Nuys is the closest option but it’s still a 20-minute car ride. Pricing is as follows:

• $11 for 30 mins
  • $16 for 60 mins
  • $21 for 90 mins
  • $26 for 120 mins (not sure how anyone can jump for this long, but if you can then good for you!)

9. Take a painting class

Color Me Mine is the most popular option and there are many locations but the closest one is in Beverly Hills so the drive is 15-20 minutes. Adult canvas painting classes are offered on one Thursday of every month. Pricing varies so check out the website and call for details. You might even see David Beckham or other celebrities indulging in some quality crafting time!

10. Escape room

This is hands down the most fun thing on this list in my opinion! I’ve never done it, but it seems like an awesome way to bond with a close group of friends so it might be a great thing to start saving for! Here are the two most sensible options listed according to their proximity to Westwood:

• 60out (the one on Corinth Ave.) – It’s a 10-minute car ride away so grab 2-6 friends and reserve online or over the phone. Pricing varies depending on the size of your party.
  • Escape Room LA – It’s in Downtown so it’s a 40-minute or so car ride. It is pricey at $32 per person from Tuesday to Thursday and $37 per person from Friday to Sunday. You can also make a private party booking online or over the phone.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.