IMG 6667 1JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 6667 1JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Sofia Gonzalez, Rebecca Karlous
Style

10 Everyday Wardrobe Pieces You Need Entering 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Incorporating these essential, basic pieces into your wardrobe gives you: 1) more versatile outfits 2) more cash in your wallet and 3) a total edge to your look. Keep scrolling to find items that will not be catching dust in your 2020 closet.

Plain Tees

You cannot go wrong with casual black and white tops. They are versatile and can be worn in so many different ways.

(Tip: Invest in good quality casual tops that will last a while. Trust me, they will never go out of style).

Turtlenecks

Turtlenecks can make any outfit look more mature. I personally like a black turtleneck to serve as a base for a louder, statement jacket. Or a turtleneck with a brighter color like neon pink can add a pop of color underneath a graphic tee.

Jeans that compliment your frame

Jeans that fit right = ultimate confidence. However, it can be hard to find the right fit and can be pretty pricey. When you do find those perfect jeans though, you will wear them all the time. 

Tip: I encourage taking time to find jeans at a second-hand thrift store. I have found some of my best jeans thrifted at a great price.

Leather Jacket

A leather jacket not only works great for a night outfit but is also an effortless day look.

Tip: Find a leather jacket that is not too stiff and that you can move around in. Comfort is key.

Cozy Jacket

Cozy jackets are a must to bear the chilly California weather. These are perfect for layering.

Blazer, but the fun kind

Internship season could be right around the corner for you. Therefore, a stand-out blazer fits right into the wardrobe. Even if you do not have a professional setting to be in, I find myself incorporating blazers into a casual everyday look.

Sweats

If you know me, you know I love some comfortable sweats. Whether you are out and about or chilling at home, your “lazy day outfit” can actually be quite cute. 

Tip: Incorporate color into your sweats to make the outfit stand out and look more put-together. If you do not have color, be sure to match neutral colors like black on black, grey on grey, etc.

Signature Earrings

Gold hoop earrings can complete an entire outfit (even if you are just in sweats). However, if those are not your style, find earrings that make you feel most confident and that can go with all your looks.

Sneakers

Like casual tops, a pair of white sneakers will never go out of style. If white is not for you, go with black. Personally, I do not think you can ever go wrong with a pair of Nike Air Force 1’s.

Booties

A pair of comfortable boots that get you to Point A to Point B is a must-have for every girl. No cap. 

Tip: Check out these booties from Urban Outfitters. They took no time to break in and never give me blisters.

Stay comfortable and cute this new year with these basic wardrobe essentials. What are your essentials? Let us know by tagging @HerCampusUCLA on Instagram!

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.