Jun Wang: A True UCI Superstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

With Jun Wang’s humble and generous persona, you would never guess how many things he has actually accomplished at UC Irvine. Throughout his two and a half years at UCI, Jun has accomplished more than most students have accomplished in their full four years in college. Let’s just give a brief outline of his campus involvements:

• Vice-President of Programming for Sigma Phi Epsilon
  • Philanthropy Chair for Sigma Phi Epsilon
  • Songfest Director for UCI Greek Songfest
  • Songfest Cast for UCI Greek Songfest
  • New Member Coordinator for Sigma Phi Epsilon
  • ASUCI Student Services Chief of Staff
  • ASUCI Commissioner of Campus Events
  • ASUCI Spirit Intern
  • Care-a-thon : Director of Entertainment
  • Career Center Peer Consultant
  • SPOP Staffer 2010
  • Arroyo Vista Student Council President
  • Arroyo Vista Summer Housing Assistant
  • University Extension Activities Lead
  • Chipotle Mexican Grill Marketing Intern & UCI Student Liason
  • McDonalds Selznick Associates Agency On-Camera Intern
  • Anteater Recreation Center Volleyball Ref
  • Telephone Outreach Program Student Caller
  • Counselor for Camp Kindle (A camp for kids that are infected and affected by HIV/AIDS)

Did I say brief? I meant LONG list of accomplishments! “I have always been a proactive student,” he says, “because I have always believed in living a well-rounded lifestyle: being involved, having time for your friends, and still having fun.” So how on earth does Jun manage everything? It’s simple: be more involved! “One of the best ways that I developed better time management skills is by getting more involved! It actually forces you to learn how to time manage better,” he says. Jun’s day consists of waking up at 9am, whether or not he has class, to start his work. He uses his breaks in between class to answer e-mails, do homework, coordinate/attend meetings, etc.  Yes, Jun loves the feeling of being involved and he somehow manages to put 200% of his effort in every single thing he dedicates himself to (and probably 15% of his effort into actually getting some sleep which has led him to win the “Most Likely to Fall Asleep” award from ASUCI). But the most important reason for his involvements is that Jun loves UCI.

Jun loves UCI? What kind of @#$@ is that? Believe it or not, Jun has showed many other students that UCI is truly an amazing place to be. He himself is a perfect example of what can happen if you are open to it. He explained, “At first, I wasn’t to excited about UCI because it wasn’t my first choice, like many other students. But I was open to meeting new people and trying new things. What helped me initially was SPOP. It showed me that I didn’t have to go to UCLA or some top-tier school to be an accomplished student and achieve what I want in life.” So Jun immediately got involved his freshman year. “I joined everything I could. One step led to another, one door led to two doors, two doors led to five. Every little component reassures me and reiterates why I am here at UCI. I love this school so much. It has given me so much, and I want to give back to it and help other students at UCI love it as much as I do.”

Jun’s passion for helping others even extends past UC Irvine students. In his free time, Jun volunteers for Camp Kindle, a camp for children who have been affected by HIV/AIDs. The camp completely sponsors the entire trip for the children, who are able to have fun in an environment where they do not feel judged or discriminated against. It also allows volunteers to have a first hand experience with the children themselves.

Jun has been volunteering at Camp Kindle since he was 18. “I keep going back because it is such a good cause. A lot of people can write a check. But a as a counselor I can see how much of a change I am making in these children’s lives.” Jun explains that Camp Kindle has really taught him to be appreciative of his life. “It is such a humbling experience to be with these children for a week. Sometimes we get caught up in our own lives and we complain about the simplest things. But here are children who are 9 or 10 years old and have been through so much more than any of us have gone through in our entire lives. They have fought through bullying, through the death of their parents, through their own infection and more, and yet they are so grateful and optimistic about life, regardless of how close they are to losing it.”

Most recently, Jun has been accepted into the Internship Program for Creative Artist Agency (CAA). The Creative Artist Agency is the number one talent agency in America. It has represented the most talented and successful artists working in music, film, sports, and game business. Some notable clients of the CAA include Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro, Sandra Bullock, Zac Efron, James Franco, and many more reputable entertainers. Jun was only 1 of 6 chosen (out of 1,500 applicants) for the internship! After graduation, Jun plans to move to LA and work with CAA in the entertainment industry.

Look out for Jun’s campaign for Vice President of ASUCI Student Services VP in the upcoming weeks!

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.