wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

‘You’ve Got Mail’ Versus ‘You’ve Got a Match’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Tinder, Bumble, Hinge — we’ve all heard of them. Some of the most popular dating apps where a simple motion of swiping left means you’re not interested and swiping right means you are. Maybe you joined the apps as a joke, an ego boost, a rebound, entertainment or some entirely different reason. Whether you belong in one of those categories or not I think a good majority of people do want to fall in love. Modern dating has ruined my perspective of love as a hopeless romantic. This generation of dating puts no effort into messaging you.

However, if dating was like the movie You’ve Got Mail, I would have more respect for technology. If you haven’t seen the movie, it’s a romantic comedy that uses a technology medium —email — for two individuals fall in love. Back in the ‘90s when AOL was the email everyone was using, there was dial-up when logging in and if you had an email the computer would say ‘you’ve got mail’ — hence the name of the movie. Here are the best quotes used as a comparison to what dating has come to.  

“How about coffee, drinks, dinner, a movie…for as long as we shall live?” vs. “Let’s Netflix and chill at my place.”

I know it’s a hard offer to pass up, but I can do that on my own time and even enjoy myself more alone. I don’t need an extravagant date — just try to get to know me; show me you’re worth my while. 

“I don’t know his name, what he does, where he lives exactly, what he looks like…he could be anybody.” vs. “I don’t think he’s real. His photos look too perfect.”

When swiping through Tinder, often times people can find people pretending to be someone they’re not. Sometimes this happens through photos of a famous model or even personality and occupation. The stakes are so much more dangerous in this age of technology and meeting someone for the first time. 

“The odd thing about this form of communication is that you’re more likely to talk about nothing than something.” vs. “What’s your Snap?”

Nothing makes a girl swoon more than asking for her Snap. I’m kidding — nothing makes a girl run faster. This implies you’re not interested in getting to know us. This is just another time to pass time for another hookup. 

“My breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: you’ve got mail.” vs. “Read.” 

Not having the common decency to send a message to someone after matching, is a bad sign in itself. If we used to use dial-up and email messages (which required a lot more waiting), it’s not hard to send a quick reply to show you are actually interested in the person. 

Let this be a lesson to all. Technology is a medium to connect with someone, not to leave them on read. If your parents dealt with dial up computers, you can deal with writing someone a simple message. 

Media: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hannah enjoys romcoms, young adult fiction books, and binging Netflix shows. When she's not procrastinating, she finds herself writing stories as her dream is to become a published book author one day.