jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Ultimate Guide to Electric Daisy Carnival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s that time of year again collegiettes! The third annual Electric Daisy Carnival has set its sites on Orlando for November 8th and 9th with a killer line-up and an atmosphere promising to blow your mind. If you’re a veteran to the scene, you’ve probably been prepared for weeks, counting down the days with every bedazzle you glue onto your custom-made fanny pack. But if this is your first time, you may not be sure what to expect and may have a few questions left unanswered. If this is the case, then there’s no need to worry. Keep the good vibes going and just follow along in this Ultimate Guide to EDC as I break down everything you need to know in five steps.

1. Utilize Your Smart Phone

There really is an app for everything, and EDC is no exception. Downloading the app from Insomniac makes navigating around so much easier, and the best part is that it’s free! On it you’ll find set times, artist bios, a map of the festival, and lots of other information that will help you out if ever you get confused. 

2. Should You Bring it or Leave it?

EDC has a very strict policy on items that you are allowed to have and items that cannot be brought on the premises in order to ensure your safety. For a complete list, visit the EDC official website at www.electricdaisycarnival.com but you should be just fine if you pack the following things…

Bring: I.D, ticket, fully charged phone, sunglasses (we do live in the sunshine state after all), empty Insomniac water bottle, camera, cash, bag no bigger than 12×12.

Leave: Water bottles (that aren’t Insomniac), opened packs of anything such as gum or cigarettes, food or candy, eyedrops, bags larger than 12×12. 

You WILL be subject to search upon entry by official Orlando Law Enforcement and they have the right to check your pockets, bags, shoes, or perform a full-body pat down. Insomniac officials also have the right to deny access to the festival if they feel that you have not respected their rules. So please be safe and smart and make sure your items are all secure and abiding by the rules provided. 

3. What To Wear

When it comes to festival attire, there aren’t many guidelines to follow. Festival goers wear everything from shorts and a tank to tutus, wings, and fuzzy hats (or a mix of all three). The EDC community encourages creativity and color in your outfit, so feel free to experiment and put together an ensemble that you’d never dare wear anywhere else! No one will judge you for that bedazzled fanny pack and tutu, I promise.

Some things to keep in mind while finding an outfit is that it should be comfortable, cool, and replaceable. You will be in a massive sea of people jumping up and down for over 12 hours straight, so yes, you will sweat and yes, you will get bumped around, so wear something that can be ruined without causing any heartache. The same idea goes for footwear. Old or cheap shoes are best since you will be in a field and dancing non-stop. Closed toed is smart since you may get accidentally stomped on. Better to be safe than limping right?

4. Staying Safe

The ugly truth is that accidents can happen, even at the happiest of places. Don’t get caught off guard with a problem that could have been avoided with a little planning done beforehand. It seems to be a well known fact that iPhones like to play hide-and-go-seek with their owners at the most inconvenient times. In case you lose your phone or -gasp- break it, make sure you have a little slip of paper stored safely on you with a few phone numbers written down that you could call. If you’re lucky, you may recover your lost items in the Lost and Found section. Insomniac officials are very helpful with finding and returning lost goods, so all hope isn’t lost if you something goes missing.

Most importantly, if you or a friend end up having a medical problem of any sort, don’t waste any time heading to the Medical tent (found on the map). Events of this size have a higher chance of injury, so make sure that you know how and where to get medical attention as soon as you enter the premises. 

5. Helpful Tips to Remember 

– Bring cash with you from home. Many of the vendors don’t accept cards and although there are ATMs available for use, the lines are always ridiculously long. 

– Have a general plan of the artists you want to see most. There’s nothing more disappointing than missing your favorite set because you didn’t know when it was playing. Performance times are posted online and available on the downloadable app on your phone.

– Stay hydrated! You’re going to be jumping, sweating, yelling, and dancing for over 12 hours, so you will need to keep drinking so that you don’t get dehydrated. Although you can’t bring any outside drinks in, your best bet is to purchase a reusable Insomniac bottle for $10 from a vendor or online. It’s completely free to fill up, so you’ll end up getting your money’s worth. 

– Once you’re in, you’re in. You cannot leave the premise and re-enter without purchasing another ticket, and no one wants to have to do that. So make sure you have everything you need for the day to enjoy yourself!

So remember my fellow collegiates…stay safe, be prepared, and enjoy yourself and the amazing experience of dancing under the electric sky!

UCF Contributor