Tinder?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Tinder?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

You Should Re-Download Tinder This Holiday SZN & Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’re single and anti-Tinder, let me influence you. I know how it goes and I know what you’re thinking, Tinder is useless most of the time unless you’re looking to hook up with a frat boy, get an STD, and then get ghosted (and I bet he didn’t even buy you dinner first).

But that special Christmas magic extends to the wonders of dating apps too. During the holiday season, Tinder becomes a whole new world for me. Let me tell you why you should start swiping right again ASAP.

the hotties from your hometown

If your distaste for Tinder sprouts from the same place that mine did, because of the sole fact that meeting strangers online feels disingenuous and quite frankly scary (I’ve been watching a lot of true crime, so what?), this is for you.

When it’s time to go back to your hometown for winter break, let me remind you that everyone else you went to high school with will be in the same city as you again. Do you see where I’m going with this?

Let me act as a testimonial and set the scene. I used to be ugly in high school, and I’m not afraid to admit it. But I’m not in high school anymore and not to toot my own horn, but I had quite the glow-up since. Out of boredom in my hometown last winter break, I hopped on Tinder for a regular game of hot-or-not when I realized jmy feed was flooded with a lot of familiar faces. It turns out, I’m not the only one who thought I had a glow-up because I began matching with the men that never even looked at me in high school.

Do it for younger you at least. It’s a huge confidence booster for one, to find out that you proved wrong the hotties that used to look past you. Regardless of if you message them back or not, it’s a huge dub when you get a flirty message from someone that you saw as untouchable in your younger years.

Considering you actually know who these people are and what they’re like from way back when you knew them, matching with your hometown hotties can be the exception you need to go on a date or have some fun with someone from Tinder.

the plague of cuffing season

It isn’t the holiday season without every single in sight craving a relationship for the sole purpose of being able to cuddle in the cold of the night, wear matching pajamas with someone, and have someone to go see Christmas lights with.

Take advantage of it!

A lot of men go from wanting to be single and almost too ready to mingle in the summer time to suddenly wanting a girlfriend as soon as the holiday season hits. I’ve visibly seen a multitude of people change their profiles from “Looking for short-term, open to long” to “Looking for long-term, open to short.”

If your issue with Tinder lies in the fact that most people are going to text you at 3 a.m. asking if you’re up, use this time wisely while the cold air has gotten to their heads and convinced them that they’re finally ready to commit. If you play your cards right, you might be able to go on enough dates in the winter and get in a relationship with someone before their spring senses hit them and tell them that “cuffing season” is over.

meeting people that don’t go to your school

I’ll be the first to say it, UCF men aren’t it. I’m a senior in college and may I just say that I’m sick and tired of every man in the Orlando area.

The other day though, right before Thanksgiving, something magical happened. I stayed in Orlando for the break and was greeted with the pleasant surprise of a flood of attractive people on my Tinder feed. I thought it was God’s work at first, before realizing that people from other colleges were visiting their parents in Orlando.

It was my lucky day really because apparently a lot of FSU students are from Orlando (and I love an FSU man truly). And I will say, that students from every school bring such a different vibe than the people I’m used to meeting at school.

I mean, everyone I matched with from UNF were the sweetest little granola boys that had the best indie music in their profile, while my kings from FSU had the most exciting profiles full of raves and tailgates and the best house music in their profile.

Even if you’re not wanting to develop a relationship with someone that you know is bound to go back to their college town in a few weeks, it’s fun getting to know people that you wouldn’t normally interact with. Do a little bit of flirting for the plot; plus, a little attention for some instant gratification never hurt anybody.

We’ve reached the end so here’s my call-to-action: Stop reading and start swiping. Get your flirt on this holiday season and redownload Tinder. Happy holidays and happy swiping!

Abbi Donaldson is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UCF who covers all things wellness and pop culture. She is a senior at the University of Central Florida with a major in Advertising & Public Relations with a minor in Mass Culture and Collective Behavior. Abbi loves all things campaign marketing and brand strategy related. You can typically find Abbi at the gym, a music festival or binging a YA romance novel.