This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s official — it’s been one full year since the arrival of Tom Nook’s Island Getaway in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. The game released on March 20, 2020, and remains the second-highest selling game for the Nintendo Switch. Many individuals found themselves looking to video games for new experiences in the heat of quarantine, and Animal Crossing was considered one of the best options around the globe. The gameplay sparked creativity and allowed friends to spend time with one another from miles apart. Now that an entire year has passed since its initial release, I thought it might be comforting to reminisce about some of the things that made Animal Crossing: New Horizons so special in the hearts of many. 

Villagers

Without a doubt, one of the best parts of creating an island paradise is discovering which villagers you want to share it with. There are 397 available critters with a wide range of personalities and catchphrases that are certain to spice things up. Whether you decided to go villager hunting or just stocked up on amiibo cards, collecting island residents is an exciting process! 

Terraforming

Not only can you socially shape your island in New Horizons, but the ability to physically sculpt the landscape was also introduced in this Nintendo game. You can create custom paths, change the layout of rivers and completely transform the aesthetic of your island, all with the terraforming ability! Plenty of people went all out with this new feature, and the custom design aspect led to some truly beautiful and artistic island getaways. 

Museum

There’s no sense of satisfaction quite like when you have discovered all of the fossils, bugs, sea creatures or fine pieces of artwork in Blathers’ exquisite museum. It’s a task that takes a year to complete, since each season reveals different critters across the island to catch and donate. So, unless you implore the use of time travel, attempting to reach this achievement means you are in it for the long haul! Seeing your hard work on display in the museum is sure to make all the effort worth it in the end. 

Decorating

With seemingly endless furniture and recipes to collect, there are infinite decorating possibilities! From mini-spa resorts to elaborate bedroom layouts, Animal Crossing players have pushed themselves to their creative limits in designing their island homes and other areas for their villagers to relax. The struggle of trying to reach the highest rank of Happy Home Academy is another fun challenge that many have aimed for throughout their gameplay. 

Seasonal Events

Last, but certainly not least, Animal Crossing: New Horizons absolutely delivered with the holiday activity updates throughout the year. From Bunny Day to New Year’s Eve, the excitement never stopped. It’s such a relaxing experience to open up the game and spend time celebrating your favorite holidays with adorable characters, especially during a time when you may be unable to celebrate with friends and relatives.

Tom Nook’s Island Getaway in New Horizons was a blessing to those experiencing higher levels of anxiety and loneliness during an incredibly unsettling time. The pleasant escape it offered made a difference in the lives of so many individuals, myself included. Even an entire year later — possibly the longest year of my life — I’m still so grateful that this game was around to offer comfort and joy. 

Caroline Hull is a senior at the University of Central Florida and is double majoring in Theatre Studies and Creative Writing. She is pursuing her dreams of either being a successful playwright or an English teacher, and loves to spend her spare time cuddling with her dogs, Maya and Winston.
UCF Contributor