Why You Shouldn’t Be Ashamed to Still Enjoy Twilight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Ten years ago, Twilight was released in theaters. This started the Twilight-frenzy. Every person under the sky heard about this saga and the crazed fans that surrounded it. Going to midnight movie premieres—when they were still at midnight—hanging up various posters that were obtained from teen magazines, and buying all the merchandise one could find; this is what surrounded Twilight fans—including myself. Years later, it is now shameful to even mention the series/movies, and even more shameful to say that you *gasp* still enjoy them.  

It’s So Nostalgic.

Re-watching the saga or even re-reading the books can bring immense joy to someone who loved the series all those years ago, and joy is an emotion we shouldn’t be ashamed to want to feel. For most die-hard Twilight fans, their lives completely revolved around the series, every moment was revolved around the series, therefore more than likely they’ll still enjoy it today. Trust me, I’m aware that the writing is pretty terrible, and then the acting wasn’t very great either—but re-watching those movies and re-reading those books is just such a pure joyous moment, but it also is so humorous to realize how bad it is and to remember how much you once loved it. It really is an experience—an experience you shouldn’t be ashamed to enjoy.

Who Cares What Others Think?

I went through a period of my life where I refused to even acknowledge the existence of the Twilight series. This period I believe was right around the time when the hype started dying down and instead, everyone began making fun of people who enjoyed it. So, I began to just put all my hatred toward the series and it brought me shame that I ever enjoyed it. Years later (I would say probably six or seven years later), I finally came to the realization of “who cares?” Who cares what makes someone happy? And if they do care enough to make fun of it, then are they really somebody I should associate myself with? I pulled out my books and placed them back on my bookshelf, and bought the entire collection of movies and finally watched the last two, which I hadn’t let myself watch prior to it. 

I haven’t re-read the series, but I watch the movies every-so-often just to experience the nostalgia it brings me. I’ve stopped caring that other people despise it so much. If you fall into the category of absolutely falling head-over-heels in love with the series all those years ago and then immediately you began to hate it just because of societal pressures, I would suggest that you go out and buy the entire collection or stream them all on Amazon Prime just so that you can feel the absolute nostalgia it’s going to bring you. Plus, you probably owe it to your 10-year-old self to live through those movies/books at least one more time in your life.  

Images: 1, 2, 3 

Darby is a Senior at UCF studying Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in Anthropology. Darby was born and raised in Kentucky but decided to make the move to Orlando in the Fall of 2017. When she isn't studying and writing, she can typically be found playing video games with her husband, worrying about life after college, or playing with her dogs.
UCF Contributor