Why You Should Care About the DACA Repeal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

On September 5th, 2017, Donald Trump decided to rescind the DACA program started by the Obama administration. This program has helped nearly 800,000 undocumented immigrants and had a positive effect on the economy. Rescinding it will causes has hurt a lot of people and will no doubt harm our economy.

What is DACA?

DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. Essentially, it is a program that keeps people who were brought into the country illegally by their parents, called Dreamers, from being deported for two years. The program also makes them eligible for work permits. To qualify, recipients must have no criminal record, completed high school or a GED, or be honorably discharged from the military. In addition, recipients pay a $495 application fee for every time they apply or renew.

Why should you care?

First, DACA has benefitted the overall economy in America, because DACA recipients are eligible to work. This means they are no longer living in poverty and are contributing to the economy through spending and taxes. Ending DACA would actually harm the economy by forcing immigrants to go back to working illegally for less pay. This would make employers go back to hiring illegal work forces rather than American citizens.

Beyond that, Dreamers are a part of American society. They are not just benefitting from America, they are also making it better. These people are your friends and classmates and coworkers. They are as much American as you or me. They work, pay taxes, and go to school. Many of them don’t know anywhere else because they were brought here so young. Sending them back to their “home” would just be sending them to a foreign country where they don’t know anyone and may not even speak the language.

What can you do?

Because ending DACA will cause major issues with the economy and uprooting Dreamers will take a lot of time and tax payer money, Congress has been given six months to act on the repeal and will allow any recipients to renew if their permits expire within this time. This also gives us time to stop the repeal. You can contact you senators and representatives and urge them to stop this repeal. Specifically, you should contact Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel, Rep. Martha McSally, Rep. Mike Coffman, and Rep. Will Hurd, as well as our Republican Senator, Marco Rubio. You can call, email, or send them a letter using this contact information:

Paul Ryan

H-232 The Capitol

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-0600

Martha McSally

510 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-2542

Mike Coffman

2443 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-7882

Will Hurd

317 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-4511 Mitch McConnell

317 Russell Senate Office Building

Washington DC 20510

Phone: (202) 224-2541

Marco Rubio

284 Russell Senate Office Building

Washington DC 20510

Phone: (202) 224-3041

Beyond this, you can find or organize protests in your area or start calling or mailing campaigns. You can also get in contact with the National Immigration Law Center, which represents immigrants in legal battles, to donate. The DACA repeal is a serious issue that will affect you, your friends and family, and the economy. Get involved and let’s fight this.

Cassie (which is short for Cassandra) is a Junior at the University of Central Florida. Her major is Writing and Rhetoric and she has two minors in Political Science and Sociology. She is also a tutor at the Writing Center. She is very interested in research, especially regarding gender and sexuality.  Her hobbies include watching Netflix and avoiding her responsibilities. Also, knitting. Her favorite foods include pizza and all Asian cuisine. She drinks her coffee black, unless it's Starbucks, in which case she gets a caramel macchiato. If a dog is in the room, she will ignore everything else.  After she graduates, she plans on moving into a tiny house and travelling around the country, doing freelance writing. 
UCF Contributor