This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you are tired of re-watching Friends or browsing through Netflix for a new show to watch, why don’t you try Patriot Act? The Netflix original is in its fifth season and comes out with a new episode every Sunday! Hosted by Hasan Minhaj, the show breaks down major issues that we should all understand and be aware of as the future leaders of tomorrow.

Minhaj approaches politics in a new light, making it more palatable for a younger audience. Minhaj draws them in with his humor, factual arguments and an endless supply of new sneakers, which he subtly flaunts every episode. In Minhaj’s words, “Think of a funny, investigative report meets comedy show; meets political satire; meets Malcolm Gladwell, but funny — and it’s on a bunch of screens like a Drake concert.” Seeing as the majority of the show’s audience is young adults with not much money to waste on a Netflix subscription, each episode is uploaded onto YouTube to stream the show for free — but do not get me wrong, my dad loves the show as much as I do!

The show covers topics from student loans to Amazon. He exposes the truth while also educating the viewer. Before I watched Patriot Act, I always stayed away from politics. I felt like there wasn’t an honest, unbiased source that educated me. Instead, I would be more confused than before I started researching the topic. Minhaj executes his argument with an endless supply of hard evidence. Minhaj has made a trend of bringing in reputable sources, like Bernie Sanders, to give insight on topics he is going to cover.

With this show, Minhaj has been able to speak in front of Congress to talk about the issues of student loans. He has performed at the White House Correspondents Association Dinner, showing the huge impact this show has made, as he is now getting everyone’s attention. Minhaj is not afraid to expose the true persona behind the facade many politicians put up. He once dedicated a whole episode on Trump’s worst policy and also explained the historical ramifications with blackface while showing Minister Justin Trudeau’s offensive Halloween costume. The show does not stop there. Not only does Minhaj talk about American issues, but he also opens up his platform to global issues, digging into territory few have done before. You would assume this comedic, yet confrontational style of tackling politics would come with consequences, but so far, everyone has loved the honest conversation.

Not only is this show educational, but it is also breaking down barriers — Hasan Minhaj is the first Indian American to host a weekly comedy show. The show has won awards, like Primetime Emmy Awards, Peabody Awards, and The Webby Awards — for its transcendent material that was missing from the entertainment industry. Patriot Act does not seem to be slowing down. The show has a sixth season coming soon, and I only hope that by then, you have become a fan.

Media: 123

Isabel Vila is a junior majoring in Advertising/Public Relations. She was born in Puerto Rico but raised in South Florida most of her life. You can catch her watching The Marvelous Mrs.Maisel, looking at upcoming fashion trends, or being with friends and family. You can keep up with Isabel through her instagram @isabel_vila.
UCF Contributor