Why You Should Attend a Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

PCD. It’s a horrible horrible thing. Some of you may have heard of it, but some of you have no clue what the heck I’m talking about. This is the kind of problem that many of us encounter at least once in our lives and unfortunately it takes time to get rid of. It’s unbearable and feels like the end of the world at the time. That’s right everyone, I am referring to Post Concert Depression (PCD). 

I think the one thing I did not know how to explain to my parents when I was just a young child after they picked me up from all the Jonas Brothers concerts was why I was so depressed for a week or two following the concert. It’s so difficult to explain this feeling to a person that has never experienced it. Imagine going anywhere and having a good time, whether it’s traveling, going out with friends, or throwing a party. We have all experienced at least once something so astounding, it’s difficult not to talk about days after. You typically talk about how enchanting of a time you had and how you wish you could go back. It’s the same feeling when you’re experiencing PCD (x1000000). 

I experienced this feeling many times in my lifetime, but never have I experienced it the way I did until I attended EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival) Orlando back in November 2016. I was always the person that never had the desire to attend an electric dance music festival no matter how amped up my friends made it sound, I thought they seemed really intense and that everyone must be on drugs or heavily intoxicated at these festivals. 

The truth is there many of those people at these festivals and all I have to say to that is to each their own. However, it’s so easy to say you will not enjoy something you have never experienced. I had the pleasure of experiencing one of the best times of my life this past year and I can honestly say the following weeks after this festival I suffered severely with PCD. 

I used to talk about how terrible electric dance music was, but then I experienced and listened to it at a festival. Everyone is dressed up in many different fun and exciting outfits. No one seems to care what you look like or who you are, everyone is just simply having good time (under the influence or not). I’m not going sit here and encourage everyone to get wasted and take illegal drugs, but the experience itself is genuinely something I could never replicate elsewhere. 

You don’t have to be “on” anything to have a good time at a music festival. As long as you personally enjoy music and the way it makes you feel, I guarantee this kind of festival would still be enjoyable to anyone. I look back at the experience very often and remember how amazing it was to just ignore all life problems and dance while the many stages are blaring with this new and captivating music I used to consider trashy. 

Before this experience, I wouldn’t hesitate to talk about how incredibly ridiculous I thought it was to want to go to a concert that was primarily just a bunch of noises. Little did I know, this would be one of the most phenomenal and rejuvenating experiences in my lifetime. And after the experience, I plan to continue attending more of these festivals. I mean it when I say it’s immensely rejuvenating. 

All I have left to say is don’t knock it until you try it.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

Leah is a senior at UCF studying Human Communication with a focus in Media Relations. Leah loves being a voice to the voiceless. She one day hopes to use her writing skills to make a difference to those who need a helping hand. Leah plans to utilize her time in the future working in Public Relations or going to grad school to become a guidance counselor for elementary and middle school students. Leah is a yes girl, she never passes up an opportunity that will benefit her career greatly. And of course Leah loves to go out and dance with strangers on weekends because why not? 
UCF Contributor