This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, it seems like most people are busy preparing gifts and reservations or are completely dreading leaving the house. I’m somewhere in the middle. Completely indifferent. And yes, I have a significant other. No, we’re not long distance. We just don’t necessarily see the point.

I’m someone who hasn’t celebrated holidays in years for many reasons. One of them being that I don’t want to participate in holidays that go against my beliefs and are so commercialized. He likes the idea of the holiday but knows how I view it and understands my point. Last year, I picked up a extra shift at work while he went to a concert, and we later went and got ice cream. Our time commitments to other things during the week prevent us from even seeing each other because I’m a full-time student with a part-time job and plenty of extracurricular activities. This year I’ll be at dance class. He’ll be preparing lesson plans.

I’ll admit that once or twice before I’ve felt like we were missing out on all the romance that comes with celebrating Valentine’s Day, but then I remember how often we surprise each other with gifts and shower each other with compliments. We have date night nights whenever our schedules and budgets allow, and sometimes stay in and have Parks and Rec marathons. I’d much rather do that than stress out over what gift to buy just because the rest of country is doing it too. Don’t get me wrong, Valentine’s Day could be your thing, and there’s nothing wrong with showing your honey some love. I would just rather do it on my own terms. Now, Galentines Day is a different story. 

Sara is currently attending the University of Central Florida, majoring in Art Education and Advertising-Public Relations. She loves going to concerts, drawing, promoting for her favorite bands, traveling, trying new food, and Lindy Hop. If you ever feel like being extra special, she likes almond milk lattes with an extra shot, or matcha tea. @SaraRentas on Instagram!
UCF Contributor