Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why It’s Okay to Be Single in College — & Why You Should!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

While going through the motions of college, you’ll find yourself constantly surrounded by the various pressures of classwork, graduation, finding a job, and ultimately putting your life together all at once. One of these pressures that some of us may face is the need to find “the one,” and while becoming a young adult should be all about having fun, being surrounded by relationships may make us feel as if something is missing. 

During our early adulthood years, we are surrounded by the concept of what defines a “perfect relationship.” But what we fail to realize is that the most important relationship is the one we have with ourselves. Putting our time towards our education and learning to love ourselves is what will benefit us in the long run. With that being said, here are five reasons why it’s okay to be single in college.

Having time to focus on YOU!

Growing into a young woman includes spending a good portion of your time on yourself and your own well-being. Considering that, investing time into a relationship with someone can become quite time consuming, and in most cases, we become so invested in taking care of someone else that we forget to take care of ourselves. As women, we are natural-born caretakers, and when we love someone we would rather do things for them as long as they are happy. But, what about you?

Avoiding stress

Transitioning into the college lifestyle is guaranteed to have you stressed out 99.9 percent of the time. You’re constantly bombarded with tons of homework, internships, and the pressures of getting your life together. While being in a relationship can have its perks, the stress that comes with one may hinder your academic success. For example, no relationship is perfect (no matter how fabulous social media may portray it to be).

It’s expected in a relationship to have some disagreements that may result in an argument. While you should be focusing on your chem exam tomorrow, you’re now crying in your bed because of an argument that may have occurred that same night with your significant other. 

You get to do what you want to do, and how you want to do it!

Young adulthood is the perfect time for new opportunities to emerge. Say you want to start up a new business or maybe even create your own blog. Being single allows you to discover more about yourself, and you don’t have to worry about another person’s opinion. When you’re single, you may find that there are more opportunities to meet new people, make connections, and ultimately create a life that is most beneficial to you!

You’ll never feel trapped

During your time in college, you may find yourself involved in different internships and other academic resources that will eventually aid you in reaching your career-related goals. One negative aspect of relationships, that we’ve all seen first hand, is having a person who may hold you back from moving away to college or job-related opportunities solely because they don’t want to be apart from their significant other. Letting another person dictate your future is not what’s best for your own personal growth. 

Just because!

Despite the pressures that come along with finding “the one,” some people are simply better suited for the single lifestyle. Of course, everyone enjoys companionship to an extent, and love can be found in a variety of different forms. Who cares what others think? If you’re happy in your single state, enjoy it! You’d be surprised at how others wish they could have the perks you’re taking for granted.

Altogether, it’s perfectly okay to be single in college, and it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. The single life gives you an opportunity to live life on your own terms. Don’t take advantage of this amazing opportunity — the single life doesn’t last forever. Focus on you and bettering yourself to the full extent, and when the time is right, that special someone will come along.

Daniele Spring is a junior at the University of Central Florida as well as a first-semester member of HerCampus! Daniele is majoring in advertising with a minor in marketing. One of her favorite past times is writing and expressing things that she loves through written work!
UCF Contributor