jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why I Prefer Daytime Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The New Years has just recently passed, and one of my New Years resolutions was to make more time in my life for the people that matter in my life. When I made this resolution, I immediately reached out to some people that stood out in my mind. One of the people that I am not so close to immediately responded that we should go see a movie some night. No offense intended on her part, because I absolutely love movies, I am just in that place in my life where I would prefer to avoid long nights.

The spirit of love is in the air, and whether or not we’re celebrating Valentine’s Day with a significant other or with some galentines, I feel like life would be much easier if people would consider doing daytime dates instead.

My Days Are Already Long

After a long day of work, or school, or a day that may have involved some combination of both, I come home and hang up my car keys and go to my room with the expectation of being comforted by the pillows and blankets in my bed. If I were to come home, only to realize that I have to get ready to be on my A-game for another unpredicted amount of time, it is going to be very hard for me to refrain from groaning. It makes me sound like I’m a grandma, but I would much rather cuddle with my dog in bed and cast Netflix on my television than go see a movie where I wouldn’t really interact with the person I’m with.

The Sun Shines on Every Option

There are so many more options of date ideas during the day when you compare it to the night. Standard business hours in society is nine to five, so by the time the sun is setting, there really aren’t that many options beyond dinner and a movie. These aren’t exactly great first date ideas. The movie doesn’t allow you much time to get to know each other unless you’re the annoying pair that chats in movie theaters, and the dinner could end up feeling too long if you two aren’t compatible. It seems like a lose-lose situation to me. Then, even if it’s not a first date, the question of where I’m going afterwards and what’s expected of me is usually in the back of my mind. I would rather not deal with that.

Comfort Over Awkward Any Day

Daytime dates are more comforting because it gives both parties more wiggle room. Simple dates like coffee make conversation easy because you have enough time to cover the basics, but they can be cut short if the attraction isn’t there by saying that you must leave for work or class soon. The opposite is also true: if you’re having a good time, offer to maybe take a walk around the town, or grab brunch too.

Lunch Specials are Cheaper Than Dinner

I’ve compared the lunch and dinner menus of Olive Garden, BJ’s Brew House, and Chili’s. My conclusion: dinner foods cost a fair amount more than lunch when you’re comparing prices. For example, when you look at the Chili’s menu, the Bacon Avocado Grilled Chicken Sandwich is $8.00 at lunch, but come dinner time it’s $10.59. Sure, $2.59 isn’t that great of a difference, but I could also use that money to tip better, or get something else that I didn’t have before. If I am getting the same amount of food either way, I would rather pay less.

Sure, daytime dates are not the norm when it comes to date ideas on Valentine’s Day. However, these dates may help you see your special someone in a new day-light. Bonus: daylight will give your camera the best natural light if you plan on documenting your date on Instagram.

Kristi currently and MFA candidate at the University of Central Florida studying Creative Writing. A former resident at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, she loves pop culture, food, and the humanity of people. When she isn't writing, you can find her reading a book, spending time with loved ones, or going on and on about how cute dogs are. Or, specifically, how her dog Damian is the most handsome angel boy.