Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Feminine Hygiene Products Are Bad for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Many women have found themselves purchasing feminine “hygiene” products — intimate cleansers and wipes, douches and even deodorants — hoping to feel clean and fresh. Ads are constantly popping up on social media, TV and other streaming platforms telling women that the “smell” they’re experiencing is disgusting and unsanitary. Advertisements make a profit off of the insecurity women have because of their bodies — the real issue is the human body is supposed to be like that. There is no clear evidence that any of these products support genital health.

Let’s Get Things Straight

Your precious flower doesn’t require any additional cleaning. The vagina is actually a self-cleaning organ — isn’t that amazing? The discharge typically seen on underwear are dead cells and bacteria — therefore preventing infections. Nothing to be ashamed of! Washing the inside your vagina is a big NO-NO. Washes are not recommended because they can disrupt the pH balance — it can even push some bad bacteria into your body, compromising your immune system causing an infection. 

Products to Avoid

First of all, Summer’s Eve and Vagisil are leading brands in the feminine care industry. With their products — like douches, wipes, and body wash — in many big stores you’d assume it’s safe to use. However, these products contain hazardous chemicals. Unregulated toxic chemicals in feminine care products may result in serious health problems, like increased risk of breast cancer, reproductive problems, asthma and allergic reactions. Chemicals of concern commonly used in feminine care products include carcinogens, reproductive toxins, endocrine disruptors and allergens.

Simple Solutions 

Avoid the big-name feminine hygiene products, they most likely contain harmful chemicals and fragrances that will disrupt the balance of your pH. Look for brands that disclose ALL ingredients. Choose chlorine-free bleached or unbleached cotton tampons and pads. Always choose the unscented option because although we call our vagina a “flower” it shouldn’t smell like one.  

Despite what is presented through advertising about how our body should smell, guess what? Your lady-area isn’t actually supposed to smell like “Tropical Splash.” Keep it simple, ladies.

Skyler Shepard is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. She's a Print/Digital Journalism Major with an Asian Studies Minor. She's someone especially interested in foreign affairs and hopes to work overseas after graduation.