Which ‘American Horror Story’ Season Ranks Supreme?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

American Horror Story: 1984 premiered yesterday, and our excitement for the rest of the season can’t be contained for much longer. With a spooky, camp-like theme, we’re sure to reminisce on simpler summer times. However, we all know it’s not AHS without a bit of gore (and Evan Peters— we’ll miss ya, dude) and we can ensure that the horror won’t disappoint this time around. 

While we impatiently wait for the next episode, check out this ranking of the previous seasons to remember just how fantastic the series is. (And let’s be honest, it’s pretty amazing.)

“Murder House”

The OG. With an amazing cast (Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Connie Britton, etc.) and a fantastic storyline, it’s no doubt that this eerie season takes the cake as the best of AHS. While it’s evident there were some pretty serious family issues and triggering actions throughout the 12 episodes, this season also created the Evan Peters and Taissa Farmiga ship (Tate and Violet forever!). It left us all hoping that we could be stuck at the Murder House, too.

“Hotel”

As Lady Gaga’s acting debut, it’s no wonder that “Hotel” ranks so high. Based on the true story of the Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles, the season provides an eerie storyline that’ll make you never want to check out. However, with some provocative scenes throughout the 12 episodes, this definitely isn’t one to watch with your parents. (Trust me, I’ve already made that mistake.)

“Coven”

Two words: witches and bitches. Bursting with female confidence and empowerment, it’s no wonder why this season is among the supreme. From Emma Roberts’ iconic portrayal of Madison Montgomery to Taissa Farmiga’s relatable rendition of Zoe, the star-studded cast has us wishing we could get in on the magic.

“Freak Show”

With a knife-wielding clown, elaborate murder plans and overall insanity, “Freak Show” left little to the imagination and kept us wanting more and more each week. Season four places high due to its circus theme being perhaps the best thus far and it’s safe to say it’s pretty much The Greatest Showman turned dark (how cool is that?!). Also, how could anyone NOT love Pepper?

“Asylum”

It’s as if our biggest nightmares became a reality. From spiritual to psychological haunts, “Asylum” had us going to bed at night hoping we wouldn’t awake in Briarcliff. With Sarah Paulson’s unmatched acting and perhaps one of the greatest endings of the series, season two had us all in denial that we’d have to wait an entire year for season three.

“Cult”

Let’s be honest here, this season resonates with almost everyone.  From stressing over the 2016 election to worrying about killer clowns everywhere, “Cult” brought about a storyline so relevant in the media it’s as if it actually happened in real life (which is scary to even consider). Props to the screenwriters for that one! 

“Roanoke”

While this season wasn’t bad by any means, it comes last because with all the different trailers and promos FX gave us, I think we were all expecting season 6 to have a different theme. Even so, we can still appreciate the new takes on videography that “Roanoke” provided. Also, can we talk about Evan Peters in a wig?

Don’t forget to set your reminders and DVRs, because American Horror Story: 1984 airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET on FX.

Images: 1, 2, 3 ,4

Emma is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying Anthropology and History. When she's not writing articles, she enjoys long-distance running, iced chai tea lattes , and advocating for students as a Senator for Student Government.
UCF Contributor