This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When it comes to Instagram, there are two types of accounts I follow: colorful pages and travel blogs. I quickly noticed how much overlap there is between these two fields. Travel bloggers, influencers and people looking to bring up their Instagram aesthetic are flocking to the most eye-catching destinations to capture those picture-perfect moments. I wanted to get involved so I started researching some of the world’s most vivid locations and categorized them by color. Here’s what I came up with.

Red

1. Thean Hou Temple, Malaysia: Constructed in the 1980s, the pillars and lanterns of Thean Hou Temple capture an ancient feeling right next to bustling Kuala Lumpur. 

2. Kaihalulu Beach, Hawaii: This hidden gem on the coast of Maui boasts dramatic scarlet sand due to iron deposits in the ground.

3. Cranberry Bogs, Massachusetts: Every fall in New England, farmers harvest cranberries by flooding their fields until the cranberries float to the top, creating a sea of red to wade through.

4. Metropolitan Opera House, New York: Walking into this world-renowned opera house is a literal red carpet experience, with the plush carpet covering the floor, stairs and even walls. Plus, show tickets start at only $25.

Orange

1. Antelope Canyon, Arizona: This natural marvel looks like someone plucked a sculpture out of a modern art museum and placed it in the Arizona desert. If you’re lucky, you might catch a picture of one of the canyon’s famous light beams.

2. Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve, Mexico: Though this lush forest is green for most of the year, each fall brings a blanket of orange Monarchs to rest in the forest canopies after their migration.

3. Nara, Japan: Of all the places where leaves change color for the fall, Nara’s sunset hues take the cake. The Japanese city is a haven for deer and you can even buy snacks to feed them from local vendors.

4. Sossusvlei, Namibia: It’s easy to see why pictures of these sand dunes are commonly mistaken for paintings. You can get an aerial view of the wind-swept dunes through a plane ride or hot air balloon ride.

Yellow

1. Izamal, Mexico: Nicknamed “the Yellow City,” the downtown streets of this historic city are covered in a cheery yellow. Plus its location in the Yucatán makes it a short drive away from sandy beaches and ancient temples.

2. Luoping Canola Fields, China: We may use canola oil in our cooking, but few people know of the gorgeous flower it comes from. Each spring, the hills of southern China are flooded in yellow as farmers prepare to harvest the canola crop, making for unforgettable views.

3. Tuscany, Italy: For a different yellow flower experience, bask in the endless sunflower meadows of Tuscany. The fertile land also yields an array of cereal crops, which turn golden in the setting sunlight.

4. Le Petit Train Jaune, France: This train’s name literally means “the little yellow train” in English and its views do not disappoint. Board a closed or open carriage and take in the picturesque scenery of the French Pyrénées.

Green

1. Papakolea Beach, Hawaii: Hawaii has no shortage of colorful beaches, and this chartreuse oasis may be one of its most unique locations yet. The green hue is caused by the mineral olivine, making each grain of sand look like a mini crystal.

2. Amazon Rainforest, Brazil: No list of green locations would be complete without the largest expanse of green on planet Earth. Not only is the Amazon the biggest forest on Earth, it also contains the most biodiversity, giving you a wide array of plants and animals to discover.

3. Tegalalang Rice Terraces, Bali: One of Bali’s most iconic tourist locations lies in the sculpted mountains of Ubud. You can get up close with the terraces by foot, zipline or jungle swing.

4. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, Finland: We’re so used to seeing green around and beneath us that the last place we’d expect to look for green is the sky. But in Finland, you can experience the breathtaking show of the Aurora Borealis in your own glass igloo.

Blue

1. Great Blue Hole, Belize: Belize’s famous underwater sinkhole will make you feel like you’re on another planet. The varying water depths provide a striking contrast of blues loved by divers and sharks alike.

2. Vatnajökull, Iceland: As the largest glacier in Europe, this national park boasts a wide array of experiences like volcanoes, hiking, and boat tours. But perhaps the most-stunning views are inside its azure, icy caves.

3. Indian River Lagoon, Florida: Your eyes aren’t deceiving you, the water here really glows. Each summer brings millions of tiny organisms called dinoflagellates to Florida’s coast. When disturbed by crashing waves or kayak paddles, the dinoflagellates emit a blue light that sparkles in the waves.

4. Chefchaouen, Morocco: Translated into English as “blue pearl,” Chefchaouen is a mountainside retreat rinsed in every shade of blue imaginable. While there are several theories as to how the city got its iconic blue color, it remains a mystery.

Purple

1. Kawachi Wisteria Garden, Japan: This park draws in hundreds of tourists each spring to walk through its enchanting wisteria tunnels. The cascading petals make for a perfect romantic photo op.

2. Sydney, Australia: If you want a taste of spring in the middle of the northern hemisphere’s fall, head down to Sydney to see the famous jacaranda trees blossom. Jacarandas are a local favorite and provide a soft canopy to shield you from the Australian heat.

3. Crystal Castle & Shambhala Gardens, Australia: Another gem from Australia (pun intended), Crystal Castle holds the largest amethyst cave in the world — it’s big enough to fit a whole person inside. Other attractions for crystal lovers include the largest geode pair in the world and a rose quartz fountain.

4. Lupine Fields, Maine: Of all the North American wildflowers, lupines are certainly the flashiest. In June, the fields and roadsides of Maine burst with every shade of purple imaginable as these showstopping flowers spring up.

Pink

1. Lake Hillier, Australia: There’s pink salt, pink sand and now a pink lake? This natural wonder in Australia has been raising questions for centuries, and scientists still haven’t figured out its exact cause. 

2. Washington DC, US: The subject of countless postcards, DC’s cherry blossoms started out as a gift from the Japanese and turned into one of its most recognizable features. In late March/early April, you can attend the annual Cherry Blossom Festival to celebrate these delicate blooms.

3. Hawa Mahal, India: A trip to Jaipur will let you see one of the most magical palaces ever constructed. Built in 1799, the Palace of Winds as it’s known in English helped Jaipur gain the nickname “the Pink City.”

4. La Muralla Roja, Spain: Don’t be misled by the title, “the Red Wall” is filled with pink, fortress-like structures looming over the Mediterranean Sea. This 1968 apartment complex was based off North African architecture.

White

1. Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia: This area used to be a part of a large lake, but when the water evaporated, it left behind the biggest salt flat in the world. Revel in this endless white desert, with nothing but you and the sky above.

2. The World Trade Center Transportation Hub, NYC: No visit to New York is complete without a trip to the newly-completed World Trade Center and the surrounding financial district. Just make sure you stop by this state-of-the-art terminal station for a picture before you head out.

3. Hôtel de Glace, Quebec: If you’ve always dreamed of having an ice palace for yourself, you’re in luck. Canada’s Hôtel de Glace is constructed completely out of ice and in the winter, you can find rooms for as low as $400. Plus, it served as the real-life inspiration for Disney’s Frozen.

4. Santorini, Greece: Thanks to social media, the bleached white buildings on this volcanic crater have become synonymous with Greek island life. As a popular tourist destination, Santorini is filled with hotels, restaurants and beaches to cater to your every island need.

Black

1. Búðakirkja, Iceland: This commanding structure sits in the middle of west Iceland’s lava fields. Its fairytale surroundings will transport you to a forgotten world. 

2. Starling Murmurations, United Kingdom: As autumn arrives in England, black clouds rise from the ground and twist through the sky. But this is no weather phenomenon. These are hundreds to thousands of starling birds flying in sync to create incredible wave patterns. Use the link provided to see a map of U.K. roosts.

3. Black Sands Beach, California: When you think of black sand beaches, Hawaii or Iceland may come to mind. Few would look to Shelter Cove, CA where you can find the only black sand beach in the continental US. This remote spot offers overnight camping and dazzling sunsets.

4. Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii: Watch new land form right before your eyes as you tread upon the lava flows of Kīlauea and Mauna Loa. These volcanoes are some of the most active in the world, so guided tours allow you to stay careful while watching nature adopt to fertile, volcanic soil.

Rainbow

1. Zhangye National Geopark, China: Often called “the Rainbow Mountains,” these landforms look like a giant passed over them with a can of spray paint. It was even voted as one of the most beautiful landforms in China in 2009.

2. Batu Caves, Malaysia: Right outside Kuala Lumpur sits the geological wonder of Batu Caves, a series of caves transformed into a Hindu temple. Most of its recent recognition, however, comes from the 272 stairs leading to the temple which have been painted in vibrant, rainbow colors.

3. Kampung Nelangi, Indonesia: Tourists are more than welcome in this colorful village. Located in central Java, Kampung Nelangi has spent the past few years receiving a rainbow makeover with the hopes of attracting tourists. Now the town is an Instagram dream, decked in murals to add some vibrance to your feed.

4. Tulip Fields, Netherlands: Since the sixteenth century, tulips have been one of the most iconic features of the Netherlands. Now, locals celebrate their flourishing beauty every spring with tulip festivals around the country.

If you get the chance to visit any of these locations, reach out and let us know what you think. Bon voyage!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Emma Charlotte Young is pursuing her Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising and Public Relations. Texas-born and New York-raised, she is currently exploring everything the Sunshine State has to offer. When not in school, she enjoys sewing, baking, writing, photography, and playing with her Boston Terriers, Millie Mae and Quinnie Pearl.
UCF Contributor