Taylor Swift\'s Folklore abulm on vinyl
Taylor Swift\'s Folklore abulm on vinyl
Original photo by Stephanie Wiglesworth

What Your Folklore/Evermore Pairing Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Not only did Taylor Swift surprise everyone with two album drops last year — but she also announced that evermore is the sister album to folklore. Now that the duo has been out for a little over a month, listeners everywhere have finally been able to solidify which songs from each album have earned the top spots in their hearts. Where folklore may have more whimsy and hope in a lot of its lyrics, evermore is more realistic and accepting of what the world has in store. This contrast in tone, but overall similar energy of the two, make them fit together so well — almost any two songs from the sisters can tell a story and reveal quite a bit about a person. Unfortunately, you may not find your pairing here since there are so many different and unique combinations. But, without further ado, here’s what your folklore and evermore faves say about you!

“the 1” & “long story short”

It’s often said that your favorite folklore song shows how you deal with hurting and your favorite evermore song is how you heal. So, whereas “the 1” laments a lost relationship and what it could’ve been, “long story short” spins the reminiscing to joking about how “it was a bad time.” Good for you on your journey to healing!

“cardigan” & “gold rush”

You have a crush on/still have feelings for someone and you’re mad about it. Also, you probably have a knack for storytelling, as well as finding the best stuff at thrift stores, and are very much into autumn. So, have you started watching Gilmore Girls yet? Team Dean, Jess or Logan?

“the last great american dynasty” & “tolerate it”

You’re a people pleaser and have been criminally underappreciated in the past. You feel like you can never do enough to show someone how much you care for them — either that, or you are doing the most and no one notices. Like Rebecca, you feel your love is not celebrated and you deserve better. On a related note, which period piece movie is your comfort movie?

“exile” & “coney island”

You’ve had a relationship go sour with miscommunication. You’re the type that feels like you have your wires crossed in the moment, but then you think of what you should’ve said days later (most likely while driving or in the shower). You’re a very introspective person who tries to pinpoint when something went wrong. Also, are you okay?

“my tears ricochet” & “closure”

Okay, you got up close and personal with hurt and/or betrayal. So now you’re very selective about who you open up to and actually trust. You might still be angry or upset with whoever hurt you, but that’s okay, forgiveness might come later. Maybe you’ve already realized that it’s equally important to give yourself closure, instead of waiting on the other party.

“mirrorball” & “right where you left me”

You feel like you need to put on a show to prove to others that you’re still happy and the life of the party. You’re probably fearful that if people knew how you really felt, they would think you’re overdramatic or “delusional,” but your emotions are valid. Don’t drain yourself trying to make everyone else happy all the time.

“seven” & “dorothea”

You miss your childhood best friend. Maybe it ended badly, but even still you wish the best for them and hope that they reach back out to you one day. You’re a very reliable and loyal person — perhaps to a fault. Beyond all else, you’re constantly nostalgic about life and have probably been called an old soul.

“august” & “ivy”

You’re in/have had a situationship. They’re the person that could come back in your life out of the blue and you’d welcome them back, even if all your friends think you’re crazy. You always have a looming feeling in every relationship that you care more about said person than they do for you, and it leaves you exasperated.

“this is me trying” & “champagne problems”

You’re constantly doing your best. I see you and I’m proud of you. You may or may not have issues with committing and feel that you’re not worthy of love (be it romantic or platonic). You deserve good things; please stop beating yourself up. That, or you just like to scream sing “what a shame she’s f***ed in the head” and love Jo March, and I’m right there with you.

“illicit affairs” & “’tis the damn season”

Your favorite trope is a secret/forbidden relationship. You feel that there are few people who truly understand you, and in turn they are the ones you value the most. As much as I love these songs: This is my official statement saying that you should not text your high school ex…text the person you always had a crush on but never got with instead (since it’s the road not taken).

“invisible string” & “willow”

Besides the obvious with how similar these instrumentals are: You’re in love with the idea of love. Even though a part of you may acknowledge it as unrealistic, you’re a romantic at heart and believe that at any given moment you could meet someone who will change your life. You know that once you find that person, you’re ready to follow them to the ends of the earth with fierce loyalty and dedication.

“mad woman” & “no body no crime”

It’s female rage. That’s it. That is your overarching subconscious (or conscious) pull toward these absolute masterpieces.

“epiphany” & “marjorie”

So, as Taylor has said that these are both odes to her grandparents, they may seem obviously intertwined. But if either one of these is your favorite, you have this pull toward family history and having a sense of belonging. You’ve probably also been told you dress like a grandparent…but like, in a really cool way.

“betty” & “it’s time to go”

You’re a daydreamer. And you probably have two that are your go-to dreams. One being: What would happen if your James ever came back and apologized? The second being: The contemplation of leaving everything and everyone behind and starting a new life for yourself somewhere else. Maybe in the countryside, maybe there’s sheep…can I come?

“peace” & “happiness”

You have high expectations of yourself. You’re probably a perfectionist that is upset when you aren’t perfect in relationships (I’m subtweeting myself here) — and you’re your own worst critic. So, your New Year’s resolution might have been something along the lines of doing your best to enjoy your own company and practice more self-love.

“hoax” & “cowboy like me”

You’re criminally underrated and root for the underdogs. You’re a sucker for creative imagery and parallels (“your sleight of hand” versus “I’ve got some tricks up my sleeve” or my favorite — “my only one, my kingdom come undone” versus the Gardens of Babylon line). You crave an inexplicable connection with someone but haven’t found it yet. You’re a realist, a bit of a romantic, but definitely a cynic — like yes, you think love’s a hoax and forever’s a con, but you still want it.

“the lakes” & “evermore”

If “it’s time to go” contemplates leaving everything behind, “the lakes” is already packing their things. You know you’ve matured because you get over situations that you would’ve dwelled on more in your adolescence. Things seem a lot more temporary now, so going away to some secluded place where you can process all you’ve been through would be therapeutic.

Hopefully you found your pair, or one that you resonate with. Or maybe you didn’t, but you’ll listen to these songs a bit differently now. If you need me, I’ll be listening to these albums on repeat until further notice. Or I’ll just be at the lakes, who knows?

Stephanie is a senior studying advertising/public relations and is pursuing a minor in psychology at the University of Central Florida. As a self-proclaimed bookworm and movie enthusiast, she is in search of the perfect book/movie for every occasion. If not studying in a coffee shop, she can be found with friends exploring Orlando and checking places off their bucket list. You can find her on Instagram @steviewigles
UCF Contributor