This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

No matter how much or how little you celebrate the season, everyone has a holiday movie that gets them in the spirit. Holiday movies might seem like a single genre all on their own, but real binge-watchers know that not every snow-filled flick is a winner. Next time you’re talking to your friends, ask them to pick which is better out of two holiday movies, and you’ll soon realize what a spirited argument this can ignite. Some holiday movies might stand out to you because you watched them when you were little, or maybe because it’s a tradition and it makes you think of those you love (or maybe it just has some on-screen stunners who keep you coming back for more). Your favorites for the season can make you feel cozy, uplifted and inspired. Here’s what your top pick says about you. 

The Grinch

You have a love for all things theatrical and dramatic. Your beauty looks and style are modeled off of your favorite celebrities and fictional characters. Those around you know not to mention anything stressful before 10 a.m., and your Instagram is an open blog about your life documenting every memory and outing with friends. Coming home to your bed and furry companion is all you think about during working hours (or all hours, for that matter).

The Polar Express

The magic and spirit of Christmas gets you decorating early every November (okay, maybe as soon as the last trick-or-treater leaves). The holiday fits splashed across your socials have been carefully planned out for weeks with a plentitude of holiday puns for the captions saved in your notes app. The Target dollar section is where you come alive, hoarding every item that glitters and gleams. In your eyes, the best part about the holidays is the chill in the air and the feeling of togetherness. Your close friends on Snapchat can expect 22 videos if you’re able to see your breath in the cold. 

The Claymation Oldies

A Year Without a Santa Claus, Jack Frost and Rudolph are your go-to films for the holiday season. You love delving into the behind the scenes stories and art behind each film. Friends can expect a crafty gift from you under their tree. Sometimes keeping to yourself and recharging makes you feel most cozy this time of year. If there’s a holiday party, you can be found behind the bar experimenting with your latest festive drinks and keeping the playlist going strong.

The Holiday

You’re a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, and you’re the first one your friends turn to for advice in times of need. In every car ride, you work your way through your ever-growing podcast library that’s chock-full of info on self-improvement, careers and spiritual growth. Your Christmas list is always full of plenty of books you can binge read throughout the year. You immediately crush on anyone with even a hint of an accent. It’s possible you have an Airbnb folder full of cottages in the English countryside saved (just in case).

Elf

The local Starbucks knows your face by the end of December because you’ve tried every holiday offering, and documenting on your Snapchat story is a must. While friends struggle to make their gingerbread houses, yours has intricate details, edible glitter and a gumdrop path to match. Your version of relationship goals is wearing matching holiday pajamas and passing out after some eggnog. 

Holiday episodes of TV shows

The commitment of a whole film seems like a lot for you during a busy holiday season. Instead, you opt for watching your favorite TV characters celebrate each year, and it never gets old. Everyone who follows you on socials knows you’re a huge fan of pop culture and have the fandom stickers on your laptop to prove it. Conversations you’re in always end up discussing what Hogwarts house you’re in or your zodiac sign. Etsy is a danger zone for you and your paycheck this time of year.

The Santa Clause

You’re big on traditions and the first one to drag your family out to holiday events in your town. Weekends in your life are filled with road trips, outings to the farmers market and spending time outside before tiring out and heading home for a movie marathon. You won’t admit you’re attracted to grown-up Eric Lloyd, who played Charlie, but he can often be found in your recently searched bar on Instagram.

Love Actually

You’re a romantic with a soft side…deep down. The Hallmark big-city-girl-meets-hometown-boy is a tad too far for you (although you might slip one in for the season to roast on your Instagram stories). You cherish your close relationships deeply and are loyal to the core. You love finding a cozy corner in a local coffee shop to people watch with a croissant, which just might be Keira Knightley’s cafe order. You wouldn’t mind if a suitor carrying poster boards confessing their love for you happened through the window. 

Recent releases

While everyone else is watching the same stories every year, you’re always on the hunt for new ones starring your favorite celebrities. Last Christmas with Emilia Clarke, Kristen Stewart in Happiest Season, and all the new releases on Netflix occupy your chilly nights. Friends know to come to you for official ratings when deciding if a new movie is worth their time. You’re always first in line to try new holiday drinks and request special coffee orders you got from TikTok. Your Instagram explore page is all memes that you share with your friends on the daily and activism infographics that keep your followers in the know. 

Regardless of what film tops your nice list, it’s nice to escape into another world for a bit during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Whether that be a small snowy hometown, the North Pole, or a big city strung with lights, these places and stories keep us coming back every year to sing their praise. I hope that this holiday season you offer yourself some time to lay back, relax and binge a few favorites! 

Kelly is a Junior majoring in English on the creative writing track. She has a dangerous habit of daydream scrolling through designer clothing and a hobby of recreating the pieces herself with her sewing machine and an iced coffee on stand-by. Her heart belongs to her black lab and pit bull mix Leia (named after the princess). She has dreams of writing for a major fashion publication one day and plans to dramatically journal in her bedroom in the meantime. You can find her on Pinterest planning her next big adventure or pretending to be on it already at world showcase in Epcot.
UCF Contributor